FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

EMIF simulation protocol and result

dsun01
New Contributor III

Dear Support, 

I am running EMIP example simulation, using platform designer generate an example with presets ( Arria 10 GX FPGA Development Kit with DDR4 HILO) , it runs till the transcript console claim the simulation passed.  it is pretty exciting result.

# AbPHY [5167220000]: RD data=8e0000e41e0073ab00 @ 004e26027e (GBRC=0/0/02713/00278)
# AbPHY [5167220000]: RD data=3e5000004c2500007c @ 004e26027f (GBRC=0/0/02713/00278)
# --- SIMULATION PASSED ---
# ** Note: $finish : ../../ip/ed_sim/ed_sim_sim_checker/altera_emif_sim_checker_191/sim/altera_emif_sim_checker.sv(243)
# Time: 516870852 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /ed_sim/sim_checker/sim_checker

I expect that the memory interface to DDR module has some signals toggling. but I couldn't see it. 

all signals on the memory interface are all XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. 

Is there a document describe the protocol of the example simulation? what it is doing?  what is the input to the EMIF module, and what is the export to the DDR module?

As a learner, the detail is much more important than the “Simulation Passed” result。 how can I see the signals on the DDR bus?

looking forward to hear from you.

David

EMIF.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hello David,

I think that you have applied the Abstract PHY mode in the EMIF IP parameter editor.

This is an expected behavior during the simulation.

You can visit the link below that explain the Abstract PHY mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683106/21-1-19-2-0/abstract-phy-simulation.html

You can change the calibration mode to Full Calibration to analyze the full calibration flow.

But by enabling the Full Calibration mode, the simulation will run longer than the Abstract PHY mode.

I don't think that there is any documentation that describes the example design simulation.

You can take a look in the link below for the DDR calibration flow.

https://www.systemverilog.io/ddr4-initialization-and-calibration

I hope that can help you.

Regards,

Adzim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hello David,

I think that you have applied the Abstract PHY mode in the EMIF IP parameter editor.

This is an expected behavior during the simulation.

You can visit the link below that explain the Abstract PHY mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683106/21-1-19-2-0/abstract-phy-simulation.html

You can change the calibration mode to Full Calibration to analyze the full calibration flow.

But by enabling the Full Calibration mode, the simulation will run longer than the Abstract PHY mode.

I don't think that there is any documentation that describes the example design simulation.

You can take a look in the link below for the DDR calibration flow.

https://www.systemverilog.io/ddr4-initialization-and-calibration

I hope that can help you.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Hi Adzim

Nice to hear from you again. thank you very much, I intentionally enabled abstract PHY mode to expedite the simulation, but I don't really understand what it means.  if I understand correctly now. I write to an address, for example 0x2000, a value 0xaaaa, even it didn't forward to the external memory module, when I read to the same address, I will read this 0xaaaa back. right?   abstract PHY is a little abstract. 

Best Regards,

David

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

"I write to an address, for example 0x2000, a value 0xaaaa, even it didn't forward to the external memory module, when I read to the same address, I will read this 0xaaaa back. right? "

• Yes if you read from the same address.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any further response from you regarding to this thread. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos