FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Error in autogenerated files from Qsys

MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi,

I've a question about the generation process of IP cores.

During my QSYS generation I'm always receiving bit width errors.

Furthermore in QSYS documentation there is a section which means the Avalon bit widths will be adapted with adapters.

During generation and IP creation there is no warning or error about bit width errors.

After generating everything I receive errors in synthesis.

I don't get it how autogenerated files can have any bit width issues?! 

Do I have to adapt all files manually to make it running? I don't think this is the intention of the QSYS tool but if there are errors in autogenerated files it seems I have to do that...

Please see entity below and instantiation. Obviously there is an error in the bit width of the burst size.

entity avalon_ccb_read_pcie_controller is
	generic (
		DATA_WIDTH          : integer := 256;
		SYMBOL_WIDTH        : integer := 8;
		HDL_ADDR_WIDTH      : integer := 32;
		BURSTCOUNT_WIDTH    : integer := 8;
		COMMAND_FIFO_DEPTH  : integer := 1024;
		RESPONSE_FIFO_DEPTH : integer := 512;
		MASTER_SYNC_DEPTH   : integer := 2;
		SLAVE_SYNC_DEPTH    : integer := 2
	);

component avalon_ccb_read_pcie_controller_cmp is
		port (
			m0_clk           : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- clk
			m0_reset         : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- reset
			s0_clk           : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- clk
			s0_reset         : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- reset
			s0_waitrequest   : out std_logic;                                         -- waitrequest
			s0_readdata      : out std_logic_vector(255 downto 0);                    -- readdata
			s0_readdatavalid : out std_logic;                                         -- readdatavalid
			s0_burstcount    : in  std_logic_vector(6 downto 0)   := (others => 'X'); -- burstcount
			s0_writedata     : in  std_logic_vector(255 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); -- writedata
			s0_address       : in  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0)  := (others => 'X'); -- address
			s0_write         : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- write
			s0_read          : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- read
			s0_byteenable    : in  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0)  := (others => 'X'); -- byteenable
			s0_debugaccess   : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- debugaccess
			m0_waitrequest   : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- waitrequest
			m0_readdata      : in  std_logic_vector(255 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); -- readdata
			m0_readdatavalid : in  std_logic                      := 'X';             -- readdatavalid
			m0_burstcount    : out std_logic_vector(6 downto 0);                      -- burstcount
			m0_writedata     : out std_logic_vector(255 downto 0);                    -- writedata
			m0_address       : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);                     -- address
			m0_write         : out std_logic;                                         -- write
			m0_read          : out std_logic;                                         -- read
			m0_byteenable    : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);                     -- byteenable
			m0_debugaccess   : out std_logic                                          -- debugaccess
		);
	end component avalon_ccb_read_pcie_controller_cmp;

In QSYS the 7 bit is present but the generated top level has 8 bit:

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 16.40.53.png

I tried  to clean the project, removed all generated files, generated several times and then synthesised but of course always the same error.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

i've recognised the .ip file is still the same after editing in QSYS (inside of my .qsys file).

I have fixed the bit width in the .ip file and now it's working!

Furthermore now the entity, Qsys and the instantiation has the bit width of 7 for the burst width.

Best regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Theoretically, qsys should add in the adapter automatically. Can you attached the simple design for duplication of the issue?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The value of the generic doesn't necessarily have to match the actual hardware that's implemented.  Are you saying that you specified 8 in the IP Parameter Editor, but you're only getting 7 bits for the burst count bus width?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
MichaelB
New Contributor I

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

i've recognised the .ip file is still the same after editing in QSYS (inside of my .qsys file).

I have fixed the bit width in the .ip file and now it's working!

Furthermore now the entity, Qsys and the instantiation has the bit width of 7 for the burst width.

Best regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Good to know that it is working, closing the thread. If you have further queries, Please post a response in the next 15 days 

After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos