FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5884 Discussions

Error: (vsim-3033) Instantiation of 'msgdma' failed. The design unit was not found.

VCham
New Contributor I

I get this error when I try to simulate in ModelSim Altera Starter Edition 10.3c

This is my first time simulating a Qsys block in ModelSim.

I have successfully completed the following steps:

1. created Qsys block containing 2 MSGDMAs and 1 clock source
  2. created ModelSim project and test bench which instantiates Qsys block and a user submodule
  3. generated Qsys simulation files and exported them to the ModelSim source directory
  4. ran mentor.do according to the generated msim_setup.tcl

The generated simulation folder contains a submodule folder with all the .v files for the Qsys IP blocks. When I run "mentor.do", a Libraries folder shows up in the source directory. When I try to simulate my test bench I get the following error:

Error: (vsim-3033) simulation/msgdma_fifo_manager.v(61): Instantiation of 'msgdma_fifo_manager_msgdma_0' failed. The design unit was not found.

#     Region: /depth_engine_tb/u0

#     Searched libraries:

#      /sim/top/depth_engine/libraries/work

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VCham
New Contributor I

I am using ModelSim Altera Starter Edition 10.3c. 

I am also compiling within ModelSim but the Qsys project was created using Quartus Prime Version 17.0.2.

As an update, I realized that the way I defined the TOP_LEVEL_NAME in the mentor. do file was incorrect. Which meant it prevented the msim_setup.tcl script from running the simulation. And when I then went and tried to run the simulation manually, I was doing so without the library inclusions that the tcl script uses.

vsim -t ps $ELAB_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_ELAB_OPTIONS -L work -L work_lib -L write_mstr_internal -L read_mstr_internal -L dispatcher_internal -L rst_controller -L msgdma_0 -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver -L cyclonev_ver -L cyclonev_hssi_ver -L cyclonev_pcie_hip_ver $TOP_LEVEL_NAME

Since it was hard to find information online for how to define these variables, the definition that finally worked was

set TOP_LEVEL_NAME work.user_module_tb

I am now able to simulate. I get warnings that may have to do with the fact that my test bench is still incomplete, but otherwise the MSGDMA is simulating properly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @VCham​ ,

Can you share the design ?

Which version &edition of quartus & modelsim are you using ?

Attache modelsim log.

Regards

Anand

VCham
New Contributor I

I am using ModelSim Altera Starter Edition 10.3c. 

I am also compiling within ModelSim but the Qsys project was created using Quartus Prime Version 17.0.2.

As an update, I realized that the way I defined the TOP_LEVEL_NAME in the mentor. do file was incorrect. Which meant it prevented the msim_setup.tcl script from running the simulation. And when I then went and tried to run the simulation manually, I was doing so without the library inclusions that the tcl script uses.

vsim -t ps $ELAB_OPTIONS $USER_DEFINED_ELAB_OPTIONS -L work -L work_lib -L write_mstr_internal -L read_mstr_internal -L dispatcher_internal -L rst_controller -L msgdma_0 -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver -L cyclonev_ver -L cyclonev_hssi_ver -L cyclonev_pcie_hip_ver $TOP_LEVEL_NAME

Since it was hard to find information online for how to define these variables, the definition that finally worked was

set TOP_LEVEL_NAME work.user_module_tb

I am now able to simulate. I get warnings that may have to do with the fact that my test bench is still incomplete, but otherwise the MSGDMA is simulating properly.