FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5952 Discussions

How can I use a PCI Express HARD IP to generate an x86 nmi interrupt?

yli104
Beginner

I designed a PCI Express ENDPOINT with CycloneIV GX FPGA and implemented it with hard IP (Gen1, x1, avalonST). This ENDPOINT connects to Atom X86cpu via PCIE. How do I make Hard ip cause a analogous

PCI-Serr signal, generate a fatal unrecoverable error to RC, and get an NMI interrupt, what should I do?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Nathan_R_Intel
Employee

​There is currently no configuration to create Fatal Error (FE) from Hard IP itself. To generate a FE, you could do it from RP side either using software or using a PCIe exerciser. Unfortunately, Intel-PSG solutions don't offer this capability for Cyclone V PCIe Hard IP. As for analogue PCIe error signal, I believe you are referring to Signal Detect circuit or receiver detection circuit. If yes, we currently also don't have a method to trigger error for this circuits. However, you could do it externally, by changing the AC coupling capacitor (either than 75-200nF range) to trigger Receiver detection circuit failure. As for NMI interrupt, Cyclone IV GX cannot handle it.

Regards,

Nathan