FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

How to check Gain with ModelSim-ASE (FIR Compiler)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody, 

I try to FIR Compiler simulation. 

I want to know how to calculate Gain from simulation result. 

I think that " Gain = 10 log (Vin / Vout)^2 ", but Fir Compiler's input data bit and output data bit is different. 

My setting is following. 

1. LPF 

2. cut off frequency : 1.25MHz 

3. input 8bit 

4. output 8bit (Full bit is 22bit, and LSB 14bit Truncate) 

I made input 3MHz input data, and input data is 100 ~ -100. 

I simulation it, but output data is 49 ~ -50. 

I want to 0db Gain result, but result is -6db. 

This method is different? 

If truncate the bit, it effect on the calculation of the gain? 

Could you tell me please? 

I will attach the project.(ver 13.1) 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9261  

Thanks for read.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The worst-case gain depends on whether you want programmable coefficients or not. 

For example, if you have 100 8-bit taps, then the worst-case gain is the sum of 100 0xFF values, i.e., a bit-growth of log2(100). 

If your coefficients are fixed, then the worst-case bit-growth occurs for the worst-case signal made from sign(h[n]), where h[n] are your coefficients. This signal makes the FIR filter output peak sum(abs(h[n])). 

--- Quote Start ---  

I want to 0db Gain result, but result is -6db 

--- Quote End ---  

FIR filters are generally designed to maximize the dynamic range, and then the "gain" is whatever, and you just deal with it, eg., by scaling the output to the nearest power of 2, or using a multiplier to apply gain, and then re-quantizing the result (via saturation and rounding). Depending on what you are filtering, you do not always know ahead-of-time what the output power in the band will be, so the filter output gain may need to be programmable. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thank you for reply, I understood "I should reduce taps, and reduce bit-growth", "I should edit coefficients, and reduce sun(abs(h[n]))", and so on. 

Excuse me, may I addition question? 

If I designed to maximize the dynamic range, how to calucurate gain? 

I think that input.txt and output.txt is voltage. 

example 

input bits : 8bit 

input data : 100 ~ -100 

bit-growth : 6.6 (log2(100)) 

output bits : 15bit 

output data at one point : 25500 (sum of 100 0xFF values) 

The following calculations correct? 

Gain = 10 log (Vin / Vout)^2 = 10 log (100 / 25500)^2 = 48dB 

It seems to be amplified. 

or 

I should convert out put max range into input data range (100 ~ -100) by user logic? 

Thanks, 

jas39
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for reply, I understood "I should reduce taps, and reduce bit-growth", "I should edit coefficients, and reduce sun(abs(h[n]))", and so on. 

--- Quote End ---  

No, that is not how you should think of the problem. 

You need to first define what your signal is, eg., 8-bits from an analog-to-digital converter, and then define what your filtering requirements are, i.e., the pass-band ripple, stop-band rejection, and the transition bandwidth. Those parameters define your filter, which in turn defines the coefficients. At that point you know what the bit-growth will be. If the "answer" you get cannot be implemented, eg., you find that you cannot fit your filter into your FPGA, then you have to change your requirements and design a new filter. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Excuse me, may I addition question? 

If I designed to maximize the dynamic range, how to calucurate gain? 

I think that input.txt and output.txt is voltage. 

example 

input bits : 8bit 

input data : 100 ~ -100 

bit-growth : 6.6 (log2(100)) 

output bits : 15bit 

output data at one point : 25500 (sum of 100 0xFF values) 

The following calculations correct? 

Gain = 10 log (Vin / Vout)^2 = 10 log (100 / 25500)^2 = 48dB 

It seems to be amplified. 

or 

I should convert out put max range into input data range (100 ~ -100) by user logic? 

--- Quote End ---  

Provide a specific set of filtering requirements, and I'll try to help walk you through a couple of design options. The "gain" of the filter will then be easier to understand. 

Your description above is insufficient; 

1. LPF 

3. input 8bit 

4. ADC sampling frequency ??? 

5. Pass-band ripple requirement 

6. Stop-band rejection requirement 

Keep in mind that an FPGA can operate at 100MHz, so filtering the data to 1.25MHz results in a signal that is very "slow" compared to the clock rate of the FPGA. This fact can be exploited to reuse the FPGA hardware. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thank you very much for reply. 

Sorry, I don't have requirements because I use FIR Filter for understanding how to use FIR compiler IP. 

How about following requestments? 

1. LPF 

3. input 8bit 

4. ADC sampling frequency : 3MHz 

( http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc1173.pdf 

Does it need enough bigger than cut off frequency?) 

5. Pass-band ripple requirement : 0.3dB 

6. Stop-band rejection requirement : 40dB 

Thanks, 

jas39
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Sorry, I don't have requirements because I use FIR Filter for understanding how to use FIR compiler IP. 

1. LPF 

3. input 8bit 

( http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc1173.pdf 

Thanks, 

jas39
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

1. LPF 

3. input 8bit 

( ttp://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc1173.pdf 

Thanks, 

jas39
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

1. LPF 

3. input 8bit 

( ttp://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/adc1173.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

These do not make sense either. These sound more like parameters used to design an *analog* filter for feeding the ADC. 

Why don't you explain what you are trying to do. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Regarding 0dB gain (unity) it is defined for a given reference frequency point e.g. dc for LPF. 

It also affects signal mean power and final power depends how much power you chop off. 

for dc unity gain set sum of coeffs to 1 (or sum of every single polyphase to 1 if upsampling)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave and kaz, 

I don't understand the digital filter enough, so I'll think it over, and I will understand.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't understand the digital filter enough, so I'll think it over, and I will understand. 

--- Quote End ---  

Lets see if this helps ... Above you say you want to sample a signal out to 1.25MHz, with an 8-bit ADC, right? 

An 8-bit ADC has a signal-to-noise of around 8 x 6dB = 48dB. To ensure that your 1.25MHz signal is not corrupted by signals that alias into the band after sampling, your analog filter needs to reject signals by at least 48dB for the signals that will alias into the band. If your signal was filtered with an analog filter that was a simple RC filter, then the -3dB bandwidth of the filter needs to be about 5MHz to keep your passband ripple below 0.3dB. That single pole RC filter has a response amplitude of about -20dB at 50MHz and -26dB at 100MHz. If your ADC samples to 8-bits at 100MHz, then the signal from 50MHz to 100MHz will alias into your sampled band. This means that the signal from 100MHz-1.25MHz to 100MHz will alias onto your band of interest (as will all other higher frequencies). Since the power in that region is only down by 26dB, you will corrupt your signal, and be left with a signal-to-noise of only 26dB, which is about 26/6 ~ 4.3bits, so you've totally defeated using an 8-bit ADC. 

The analog filter would actually be designed with a much faster roll-off than a single-pole response. The number of poles to use depends on how fast you can operate your ADC, and how many bits you want to preserve in your signal. From this discussion you can see that you often need to operate your ADC much faster than the Nyquist bandwidth of the signal you want to sample. Once you have sampled the signal, you can then use a *digital filter* to eliminate the out-of-band signal (the analog filter band edges) and then decimate the result to the Nyquist bandwidth of the signal, or perhaps slightly more than the Nyquist bandwidth. Your digital filter design depends on your "system" design. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you've never designed analog filters before, take a read of this document: 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/carma_board/ad9956_tests.pdf 

Look on pages 18 to 26, where I document how I designed a 50MHz low-pass filter. On p25 note how the stop-band rejection of the filter is better than 60dB a little above 50MHz. This signal could be sampled using an ADC clock at around 120MHz, and the aliased energy would be less than the quantization noise floor of the ADC, i.e., the aliased energy would make no difference to the sampled signal. 

Your 1.25MHz signal would need to be analog filtered in a similar way before sampling it with an ADC. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos