FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

How to display the terminal through VIP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

My environment is DE0 board and uClinux-20110630. 

I can boot the uClinux kernel and operate it. 

I want the shell terminal displays on screen through DE0 VGA instead of screen on my host device 

Althought I study a lot of information such as adding hardware of VGA controller and frame buffer into SOPC, I don't know how to connect with that. 

Therefore I really need the design flow or studied direction to solve the problem 

Could you give me some suggestion 

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Excuse me. My English is very poor. 

If you don't understand me what I said. 

Please tell me.  

Thank you very much 

I really need your reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You'll need to find info on 'dumb' frame buffer displays for Linux. There might be some stuff there for 'console' as well as X displays. 

Otherwise you need to find a simple bitmap font and do it yourself! 

Not that difficult provided you don't need to support any/many escape sequences. 

If the 'console' is likely to be hidden, can be worth saving the raw character stream instead of the bitmap - much faster.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You'll need to find info on 'dumb' frame buffer displays for Linux. There might be some stuff there for 'console' as well as X displays. 

Otherwise you need to find a simple bitmap font and do it yourself! 

Not that difficult provided you don't need to support any/many escape sequences. 

If the 'console' is likely to be hidden, can be worth saving the raw character stream instead of the bitmap - much faster. 

--- Quote End ---  

I would study the key word "dumb". 

Thank you for your reply.