FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

How to program phy device

fxu001
Novice

Hello,

I leverage existing Arria 10 phy device in the design. Since original phy reference clock is 125Mhz, now I have to use 150Mhz because clock resource limitation. How do I re-program phy to meet new requirement.

Thanks in advance,

-Fred

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi Fred,

I am very much afraid the advice on the above case, If I understood your question. The Question is you have is one Clock PHY device ( Not FPGA ) which generates 125 Mhz and the current requirement is for the 150 MHz.

How to program the PHY device ( Not FPGA) ,

if the above is the question , I would recommend to contact to the PHY device vendor. In generic the PHY device vendor have some register setting to change the frequency.

If it is in FPGA , I would recommend you to use PLL to change the frequency.

0 Kudos
fxu001
Novice
Hello RSree I see. I also think from the design view point that transmit and receiver should match earth from frequency point; otherwise, it will mismatch the handshake; however, there is one exception if the bus handshake is aync design. From my experiment, it seems sync design in here, so it seems change the frequency is not good choice for now. Does the phy design by Intel also? if yes, could you ask them, so I can know more to understand intel phy behavior for the later on design? My question is if receiver input clock change from 125 to 150, there is a way to change internal ratio to be 125M drive. As I did a long time ago, the Xilinx FPGA editor can do the process. How about Altera Phy? Thanks, -Fred Thanks, -Fred
0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

I can give you a suggestion from myside , If you see the development board for Arria 10 you can see programmable clock, ( attaching screen shot for your reference) .

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-a10-gx-fpga.html

I did not gone in depth to the program , but in generic way this is the only example I can think of for the programmable clock.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee
posted a file.
0 Kudos