FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5953 Discussions

How to solve error message for 17044 using device Arria 10: 10AX027H434i3SG in Quartus 18.1. It is urgent issue!

fxu001
Novice

Hello,

When I do analyze and elaboration step, Quartus 18.1 gives following error message as following as:

Error (17044): Illegal connection on I/O input buffer primitive image_sampling:module_image_sampling|adc_sample_top:adc_sample_inst|adc100mhz_interface:adc_sample|adc_gpio_for_ddio:adc1_bank1_in|adc_gpio_for_ddio_altera_gpio_181_drjngqi:gpio_0|altera_gpio:core|altera_gpio_one_bit:gpio_one_bit.i_loop[8].altera_gpio_bit_i|input_buffer.ibuf. Source I/O pin in1Adc1Bank1FrameClk drives out to destinations other than the specified I/O input buffer primitive. Modify your design so the specified source I/O pin drives only the specified I/O input buffer primitive.

I can't find anything wrong in the this IO connection. DO you have any suggestion?

When I remove the JESD204B IP, the problem is gone. DO you have any suggestion?

Thanks,

-Fred

Notes. I found the issue. Just add buffer because the error message indicated as "XXdrives out to destinations other than the specified I/O input buffer primitive"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Fred, I am glad that the issue has already solved. Any more help needed? Regards, YL
fxu001
Novice
Hi YL, Thank you so much for your quickly response. First I thought the problem solved, but later on the issue came out again. Would you think there is a setting to cause this issue? Could you image that any file that might cause this issue. From my understand from the EDA tool behavior, it seems some setting issue, but I don't which one should be suspected? Thanks, -Fred
fxu001
Novice
Error (17044): Illegal connection on I/O input buffer primitive image_sampling:module_image_sampling|adc_sample_top:adc_sample_inst|adc100mhz_interface:adc_sample|adc_gpio5_for_ddio:adc1_bank1_in|adc_gpio5_for_ddio_altera_gpio_181_vcridrq:gpio_0|altera_gpio:core|altera_gpio_one_bit:gpio_one_bit.i_loop[4].altera_gpio_bit_i|input_buffer.ibuf. Source I/O pin in1Adc1Bank0FrameClk drives out to destinations other than the specified I/O input buffer primitive. Modify your design so the specified source I/O pin drives only the specified I/O input buffer primitive.
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Fred Xu,

This error indicates that the IP is not connecting correctly. May i know what IP you are using?

Regards,

YL

fxu001
Novice
YL, Oh, it is GPIO. I will try to narrow down the problem. Thanks, -Fred
fxu001
Novice
Hi YL, I think I found root cause. Basically Altera GPIO has two requirements: 1. It cannot drive two GPIO pins in the ddio mode. 2. it needs to directly drive from iBUF. The experiment and implement are both successful, and I am doing the integration with other modules which it should be okay now since I can use output to drive another fifo if I need. Please close this case. Thanks, -Fred