FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP

I2C ip core

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I'm beginner to FPGA.I need implement an I2C interface in SOPC.Firstly,I have downloaded I2C master_slave core from Open_Cores.But, how do I use it in SOPC builder?How do set those signal and interface type in 'New Component'?Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you must learn how to use sopc builder first.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

you must learn how to use sopc builder first. 

--- Quote End ---  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hi, 

Thanks for replying.Can you share any information how do implement I2C core into SOPC?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

longshot already wrote an SoPC builder component for the OpenCores I2C module. I'll see if I can find it. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone know how do write and read data using I2C controller core from opencore?I've tried in simulation tool but scl and sda both are low. Any helping will be highly appreciated.Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FYI, after successfully compiling all files in I2C opencore,I have problems with the simulation using Quartus2 simulator tool.I'm trying to write data as the steps below. 

1.write clock prescaler (Addr 0 and 1) 

2.enable core in control register (10000000 to Addr 2) 

3.write data to transmit register (Addr 3) 

4.start and write to command register (10010000 to Addr 4) 

No any output on scl_padoen_o,scl_pad_o,sda_padoen_o & sda_pad_o 

5.Reading the status register (Addr 4) shows 'Transfer in Progress' every 

time. 

Am I doing the right things?Some advices needed.Thanks a lots.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OpenCores seemed to be a bit too complicated for me and used a bit more real estate than I wanted, so I opted for a simple I2C master for $65.00 no per royalty fpga core. Worked great and good technical support you can see it here: 

http://skytek.x10.mx/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

longshot already wrote an SoPC builder component for the OpenCores I2C module. I'll see if I can find it. 

Jake 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, jakobjone! 

If You found it, please let me know - how to get it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos