FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

IP licenses: how do they work?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing contract work for another company. The design uses a Cyclone V part and will have a NIOS cpu and its associated peripherals. 

I have a fully licensed, node locked version of Quartus 17.0 of my own. What I don't have, and hope I won't need to purchase myself, are the IP licenses needed to create a sof file that is NOT time limited. 

My understanding is that it is my customer who should have the license as they are the ones who will be shipping product. I have one of their prototypes sitting on my desk which I am using to bring up the design, but the time limited aspect is really hindering me now. 

The company I am doing the contract work for has also purchased Quartus II and, according to them, the NIOS II Megacore IP license. 

So my question is if I can piggy back off their license. In other words, can I have a license file generated for my PC in addition to the license that they have. 

Thanks 

R. Mc.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you should be able to set up the Nios f license they've purchased for your machine's MAC address using the Self Service Licensing Center. They would probably have to do it from their myAltera account and generate a license file for you.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The other way around is to have a floating license. This will be installed on a central server. Anyone can then use the tools and IPs licensed just by setting up the license to point to the floating license server 

ex.. LM_LICENSE_FILE = port@IP (1234@192.168.1.10) . Of course, this will work only if you're in their network or have VPN access to their internal network.