FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5742 Discussions

Illegal Connection with GPIO Intel® FPGA IP output buffer.

JHaye4
New Contributor I

I am using the GPIO Intel® FPGA IP core to connect a Intel FPGA Avalon I2C (Master) Core to the pins of my FPGA.

When I connect the "dout" port of the buffer in bidirectional mode to my core logic I get the following error:
Error(17046): Illegal connection found on I/O output buffer primitive i_od_bi_buf|gpio_0|core|i_loop[1].altera_gpio_bit_i|output_buffer.obuf to i_od_bi_buf|gpio_0|core|i_loop[1].altera_gpio_bit_i|input_buffer.ibuf. The IO output buffer should only drive out to a top-level pin.
If I leave this pin "open" the error goes away; however, this is not suitable as I need to feed the dout port into my I2C master.

I am following the guidance in both user guides yet cannot get this to work.
I'm using Quartus Pro 19.4.0 targetting a Cyclone 10 GX device.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JHaye4
New Contributor I

Resolved by not being silly and connecting ports correct way round.

JHaye4
New Contributor I

Not resolved, still having the same warning. Cannot connect bidirectional IO buffer without generating errors.

sstrell
Honored Contributor II

How have you set up your pin assignments in the Pin Planner?