FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

JESD204B IP core license

dsun01
New Contributor III

Dear Expert

I just get a project using Arria V to implement JESD204B.  I have two questions. 

1. the developing tools, Arria V device only supported by Quartus Standard edition.  is that true?

2. if I purchase a Standard edition and a TSW14J56EVM board, do I need to buy the JESD204B IP core license? how much is it?

I try to search from the Intel website, it is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Thank god we have this community, appreciate your input.

David 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Forum.

We have received your case, please allow me some time to review you issue.

Wani

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

I don't think I have heard any feedback yet. I have been trying to figure out how to purchase a Jesd204B license, I am helping someone investigate a TI demo board called TSW14J56 which uses Altera's chip and IP core.  it doesn't like I am purchasing something at Amazon. even I know what I want to buy, but I couldn't figure out how to buy it, even couldn't figure out who to contact, what number to call. it is sad that there isn't Altera anymore. 

Here is what I have done. search JESD204B, you will find a page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/intellectual-property/ip/interface-protocols/m-jesd-megacore1.html?wapkw=jesd204b

you will find 3 links 

Contact Intel Sales, User Guide, and IP Evaluation and Purchase. 

the only link I can understand is the User Guide. 

I guess the web designer doesn't know why to link the button, so they just link it to the Intel main web page. 

by the way, the IP Evaluation and Purchase will lead you to a page https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/megacore-ip.html

it is amazing if you click the link of Self-service licensing center or Intel FPGA representative. 

I feel a little frustrated. Intel is too big to take care of the small user, but Altera is too big to be ignored. 

Best Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

I am so sorry to know that you do not receive the email. Let me check the sent item from the box. I will resend the note to you again. Will reply you shortly.

Wani

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

1. the developing tools, Arria V device only supported by Quartus Standard edition. is that true?
To answer your question, yes, it is true.
You can refer to this link :
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/download.html 

2. if I purchase a Standard edition and a TSW14J56EVM board, do I need to buy the JESD204B IP core license? how much is it?
Generally yes, you need to have JESD IP but for TSW14J56EVM board, I will suggest you to refer back to the board developer because they more expert to answer .
For Intel product purchase and pricing, kindly contact a Distributor from the list at our website https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/company-overview/contact-us.html

I hope my answer address your issue, but if you have any more concern or questions, you can let me know. I am happy to help.

Wani

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III
Thank you for your kind reply, I am working on a project that uses the Texas Instruments TSW14J56 evaluation board, with an ArriaV 5AGZME1EH29(ON schematic). 

When I open the Qar file provided by TI, the latest Quartus Prime Standard Edition(20.1.1) said 

Warning (13177): Your design targets the device family "Arria V GZ". The specified family is not a valid device family, is not installed, or is not supported in this version of the Quartus Prime software. If you restored a project from an archived version, your project was successfully restored, but you still must specify or install a supported device family.
when I run to install the device, it says Arria V has been installed. ( attached the screen capture)

I don't think I can change the device to compile the Qar file, because it is installed on the demo board. 

please give me suggestions to solve this problem, 

I used to be a loyal Altera user for many years but didn't use it in recent years. 

appreciate your help. 

David 

Info: Running Quartus Prime Shell
Info: Version 20.1.1 Build 720 11/11/2020 SJ Standard Edition
Info: Processing started: Wed Mar 31 22:00:33 2021
Info: Command: quartus_sh --restore -output C:/FPGA/TSW14J56/ -no_overwrite "C:\FPGA\TSW14J56RevD Respin Fw.qar"
Info: Quartus(args): -unqar -output C:/FPGA/TSW14J56/ -no_overwrite {C:\FPGA\TSW14J56RevD Respin Fw.qar}
Info: qar.tcl version #1
Info (125069): Default assignment values were changed in the current version of the Quartus Prime software -- changes to default assignments values are contained in file c:/intelfpga/20.1/quartus/bin64/assignment_defaults.qdf
Info: Restored Quartus Project File: Altera_JESD204B/jesd204b_refdesign/syn/AVGZ_gen_jesd204b_120_SP2_external_memory/jesd204b.qpf
Warning (13177): Your design targets the device family "Arria V GZ". The specified family is not a valid device family, is not installed, or is not supported in this version of the Quartus Prime software. If you restored a project from an archived version, your project was successfully restored, but you still must specify or install a supported device family.
Info (13198): Your project was successfully restored, but the device information in the Flow Summary report cannot be updated until the design targets a supported device family.
Info: Successfully restored 'C:/FPGA/TSW14J56RevD Respin Fw.qar' into the 'C:/FPGA/TSW14J56/' directory
Info: Generated report 'jesd204b.restore.rpt'
Info (23030): Evaluation of Tcl script c:/intelfpga/20.1/quartus/common/tcl/apps/qpm/qar.tcl was successful
Info: Quartus Prime Shell was successful. 0 errors, 1 warning
Info: Peak virtual memory: 4836 megabytes
Info: Processing ended: Wed Mar 31 22:00:46 2021
Info: Elapsed time: 00:00:13
Info: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:12

I notice that there is a reminder to update the IP components.
I clicked it and choose the automatic upgrade, 
the process will stick at 4% forever. 
assume after upgrade the IP, the Quartus can handle the "Arria V GZ". I need some help to complete the IP upgrading process. 

Thank you
unnamed.png

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Sorry, the picture is wrong, here is the IP upgrade stuck to 4% screen capture. 

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
dsun01
New Contributor III

Sorry to bother you, I got a response from the TI forum, I need to use an old version of Quartus like 14.0. 

it works now, thank you.

David

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Glad to know that David!

If you have any further question related to this subject, you can let us know at any time!

Wish you a great success to your project!

Wani

0 Kudos