FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Low latency 1gigabit Ethernet MAC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody :) 

Anyone can refer me to a MAC that have the minimum latency as possible ? A MAC for the 1gigabit operation (we think use Stratix 4 fpga) 

Thank you 

Shalom
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What do you mean by 'latency'? 

I guess that the delay between the time some data is received on the MII interface and the time when it is available on the stream interface for a TSE MAC is quite small and constant. But if you add the latency due to the software part, until the data is available at the UDP or TCP level will be quite higher, and will depend on the OS, IP stack and driver used. This latency could be reduced by using some hardware acceleration/implementation of the higher level of the stack.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Like you says. I mean the "delabetween the time some data is received on the MII interface and the time when it is available on the stream interface"

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In that case I don't think that you'll see a big difference between MACs. With the TSE you can remove the FIFOs to reduce it, but you'll still have a few cycles of latency due to clock domain crossing logic.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thank you. 

In xilinx fpga there are hard coded mac. 

Does it mean that there is less latency ? 

Shalom
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i mean less latency than TSE ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think so. But what is your problem exactly? Is the TSE's latency that high?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No no, 

I m just looking for a MAC with a minimum latency. 

Shalom
0 Kudos