FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

MAX 10 Ethernet not Responding

SSD001
Beginner

Hi

I am using a MAX 10 CPLD (10M16SAUI169I7G) which is connected to LS1012A processor using 10/100  Media independent Interface.  The MAX10 does not receive the UDP packets from the processor after running a operation of about 4 hours. The Triple speed Ethernet IP receiver is configured in promiscuous mode.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

May I know is this one time random failure event or you can somehow consistently reproduce the error every 4 hours or after some specific event/operation occurs ?

• Can you also elaborate further on the failure description ?
  • Did you saw corrupted packet, lost of packet or application software stuck/hang issue ?

Can you explain more on your Ethernet hardware setup ? Any block diagram to share ?

• What TSE IP variance is set ?
  • How does your TSE IP connect to PC ?

Below is some debug suggestion.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
SSD001
Beginner

hi Dlim

I am using TSE ip 18.1 version. The above problem is a random failure does not happen after a particular cycle. Never experience loss of packet or corrupted packet. It looks more like a hang issue. The Max10 IP core is connected to processor through PHY device(KSZ8081MNXIA-TR).

The Ethernet resumes after reset is pressed sometimes but sometimes does not resume operation even after a power cycle. 

The rx_err[5:0] signal  has been monitored but it does not show any errors so far in my observation.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Got it. So looks like we are dealing with random "hang" issue here.

• My suggestion is you need to first isolate whether the failure is caused by
  • either your CPU doesn't send out Ethernet packet
  • or FPGA TSE IP didn't receive and process the Ethernet packet correctly
  • or some external PHY chip in between them doesn't transfer out the packet

Below are 2 common factor that I can think of that may caused hang issue. You can check it out

• Device or system overheat causing system hang issue. This is possible if the system air flow is insufficient after running heavy processing task for many hours.
  • Some software run at OS level causing the system hang

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

HI,

I have not hear back from you for sometime.

Hopefully you are making good progress in your debug.

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Feel free to post new forum thread if you still like to engage in debug discussion in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos