I am using a MAX 10 CPLD (10M16SAUI169I7G) which is connected to LS1012A processor using 10/100 Media independent Interface. The MAX10 does not receive the UDP packets from the processor after running a operation of about 4 hours. The Triple speed Ethernet IP receiver is configured in promiscuous mode.
May I know is this one time random failure event or you can somehow consistently reproduce the error every 4 hours or after some specific event/operation occurs ?
- Can you also elaborate further on the failure description ?
- Did you saw corrupted packet, lost of packet or application software stuck/hang issue ?
Can you explain more on your Ethernet hardware setup ? Any block diagram to share ?
- What TSE IP variance is set ?
- How does your TSE IP connect to PC ?
Below is some debug suggestion.
- Does the Ethernet operation resume after you perform reset after the failure event ?
- Have you monitor TSE IP rx_err[5:0] ? (page 112, table 60) to check if your connection link face some error issue ?
I am using TSE ip 18.1 version. The above problem is a random failure does not happen after a particular cycle. Never experience loss of packet or corrupted packet. It looks more like a hang issue. The Max10 IP core is connected to processor through PHY device(KSZ8081MNXIA-TR).
The Ethernet resumes after reset is pressed sometimes but sometimes does not resume operation even after a power cycle.
The rx_err[5:0] signal has been monitored but it does not show any errors so far in my observation.
Got it. So looks like we are dealing with random "hang" issue here.
- My suggestion is you need to first isolate whether the failure is caused by
- either your CPU doesn't send out Ethernet packet
- or FPGA TSE IP didn't receive and process the Ethernet packet correctly
- or some external PHY chip in between them doesn't transfer out the packet
Below are 2 common factor that I can think of that may caused hang issue. You can check it out
- Device or system overheat causing system hang issue. This is possible if the system air flow is insufficient after running heavy processing task for many hours.
- Some software run at OS level causing the system hang
I have not hear back from you for sometime.
Hopefully you are making good progress in your debug.
For now, I am setting this case to closure.
Feel free to post new forum thread if you still like to engage in debug discussion in future.