FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5743 Discussions

MAX 10 Ethernet not Responding

SSD001
Beginner

Hi

I am using a MAX 10 CPLD (10M16SAUI169I7G) which is connected to LS1012A processor using 10/100  Media independent Interface.  The MAX10 does not receive the UDP packets from the processor after running a operation of about 4 hours. The Triple speed Ethernet IP receiver is configured in promiscuous mode.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

May I know is this one time random failure event or you can somehow consistently reproduce the error every 4 hours or after some specific event/operation occurs ?

• Can you also elaborate further on the failure description ?
  • Did you saw corrupted packet, lost of packet or application software stuck/hang issue ?

Can you explain more on your Ethernet hardware setup ? Any block diagram to share ?

• What TSE IP variance is set ?
  • How does your TSE IP connect to PC ?

Below is some debug suggestion.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

SSD001
Beginner

hi Dlim

I am using TSE ip 18.1 version. The above problem is a random failure does not happen after a particular cycle. Never experience loss of packet or corrupted packet. It looks more like a hang issue. The Max10 IP core is connected to processor through PHY device(KSZ8081MNXIA-TR).

The Ethernet resumes after reset is pressed sometimes but sometimes does not resume operation even after a power cycle. 

The rx_err[5:0] signal  has been monitored but it does not show any errors so far in my observation.

Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Got it. So looks like we are dealing with random "hang" issue here.

• My suggestion is you need to first isolate whether the failure is caused by
  • either your CPU doesn't send out Ethernet packet
  • or FPGA TSE IP didn't receive and process the Ethernet packet correctly
  • or some external PHY chip in between them doesn't transfer out the packet

Below are 2 common factor that I can think of that may caused hang issue. You can check it out

• Device or system overheat causing system hang issue. This is possible if the system air flow is insufficient after running heavy processing task for many hours.
  • Some software run at OS level causing the system hang

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Deshi_Intel

HI,

I have not hear back from you for sometime.

Hopefully you are making good progress in your debug.

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Feel free to post new forum thread if you still like to engage in debug discussion in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim