FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

MatLab DSP-Builder Java Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

after installing Quartus 11.1 then SP2 I install DSP_Builder 11.1SP2. 

Then I added dspb which was included successfully. 

During adding dsp_builder, with the setup dsp_builder.m an error occured. 

directory "bin/matlab" could not be found 

In my MatLab/Simulink Library DSP blocks and DSP Advanced Blocks are included, but when I want to use them in a Modell, a Massage in matLab Command Window appears: 

Undefined function or method 'convertFromJava' for input arguments of type 'java.lang.Object[]' 

I dont know how I can fix that Problem.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think the install of the DSP Builder 11.1 SP2 has bug. The Matlab directories are not recognized by Quartus so you have to manually point to the relevant Matlab, (R2011 should be ok for the 11.1 SP2). On my PCs, Matlab are installed in their default directories ("Programs Files"), perhaps there is a new (old) issue with the space character in the "Programs Files". 

There is something approaching about your problem in the KDB : http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/spr346843.html 

I'm quite disappointed by Q11.1 SP2 in general because I encountered too much issues (Blaster not recognized by Q11, bad devices install on one PC, DSP Builder bad install with new bull**** FSM editor, bad prefit of Stratix V etc...). 

Hope all of this will be resolved in Q12.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That kdb page is a little confused, partly because most of the linebreaks have been lost, partly because it's only talking about Linux, but also because it's out of date. 

if you are running on linux: 

Use the dsp_builder.sh script to start MATLAB. This script requires no modifications to MATLAB and so is perfect for shared installations. It also means that you can use more than one version of DSP Builder and more than one version of MATLAB without re-installation. 

For instance to start DSP Builder use: 

/path/to/quartus/dsp_builder/dsp_builder.sh  

If you don't supply the -m option, it will use the MATLAB executable on your path. This will obviously fail if there isn't one. 

This script is present in DSP Builder versions from 11.0 onwards. If you use this script and have installed older versions of DSP Builder, then please make sure that there is no file called .matlab7rc.sh in your home directory. You should check that if you have a startup.m file, that it doesn't contain any references to old installations of DSP Builder. 

if you are running on windows: 

The installer should take care of the installation, but if you want to install it in a shared environment or if it's failed for some other reason, you can either attempt to replicate the steps of the installer which is to perform steps 1-3 of the above kdb article (remembering to save the path afterwards). Then type "edit classpath.txt" and add the lines: 

# DSPBuilder START <path\to\quartus>\dsp_builder\bin\matlab\dspb_sblocks.jar # DSPBuilder END 

or you could use the dsp_builder.bat file that has been shipped since 11.0 but not publicised. To do this ensure that classpath.txt does not contain any of the lines from above and remove any paths to DSP Builder using the File->Set Path dialog. (If you've created a startup.m file to add these paths you would need to remove them from that file as well). 

Now start MATLAB by typing in the Start->Run box: 

/path/to/quartus/dsp_builder/dsp_builder.bat  

You also create a shortcut on your desktop and copy this command into it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thx for the response. 

I tried it another way, beacuse I installed every component on my own, I thought that I made a mistake, so I uninstall it again and install it with the Altera Programm and it works. LAter I install SP2 on it.  

Thx
0 Kudos