FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Max10 speedgrade 8 and DDR2 memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The MegaWizard tells me that Max10 speedgrade 8 devices are not supported for DDR2 memory interface generation in general. 

I've now targeted a speedgrade 7 device and created the RAM interface successfully (at least I think so as TimeQuest reports OK and I have no hardware available yet to test it in reality). 

If I then switch back my design to a speedgrade 8 device and recompile it using the previously generated memory interface, TimeQuest still reports positive slack. 

So, for now I have two tools reporting two different results. 

Is TimeQuest currently not testing properly? 

Is the MegaWizard as well as the online memory selector guessing too pessimistic as the result (speedgrade 8 not supported) does not depend on clock frequency and RAM delay settings? 

Or what did I do wrong? 

Best regards, 

tfranke
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Even the -8 device able to close timing in timequest, but it do not have any functionality validation on on actual hardware, so we cannot claim it is supported.  

I will suggest we refer to EMIF estimator for clearer support scheme.  

https://www.altera.com/products/intellectual-property/best-in-class-ip/external-memory/support-selector.html# 

Apparently, -8 for Max 10 do not support DDR2. 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos