FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

NIOS II Processor License

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Recently I purchased a Quartus II Subscription thinking it would include the NIOS II Processor license. It turns out that this is not the case. So now I need to purchase the NIOS II ip. This maybe be a dumb question but if I already have a license file for the Quartus II Subscription how do I add the NIOS II Processor license to it? Do I merge the files myself? How does that work? I tried to search for answers in the licensing faq but to no avail... 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> Do I merge the files myself? 

Yes.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thanks for the quick response. So to be sure, do I just copy the entire contents of the NIOS License file and paste it in the Quartus license file? Does it matter where I paste it? Top or bottom or somewhere else?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You might be able to semicolon seperate the two license files when you supply the name to the tools (or environment variable). So if your files were called a.dat and b.dat maybe this works: 

License setting box in Quartus II: a.dat;b.dat 

I know that works with license servers so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with license files too.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get the second license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have one CycloneIV GX board and want to use NIOS II core. I use quartus 10.1 web edition and follow the Nios Tutorial and choose NIOS II/e core but quartus II still generate time_limit.sof file. I also saw the warning: OpenCore plus feature will stop functioning in 3 days 49 minutes 3 seconds.  

I try with newest Quartus II 12 still have the same problem. 

According to Altera, the NIOS II/e is free so I think it will not generate *time_limit.sof files. 

Do you have this issue ?
0 Kudos