FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5878 Discussions

Overlay moving (live) graphics feed on video

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I need to mix a live graphics image (Streaming into the FPGA) that has a special pixel value in places where VIDEO should show through. I know that the Alpha Blending Mixer can do this, if I can sample the graphics stream and create an ALPHA Channel with it. 

I need to see how to use the alpha channel (I can't find any examples) and use this data to enable the underlying video to overlay the graphics on a video stream. 

Thanks, in advance. 

Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

try this for liminance. 

output = pixel/256 *(256-alpha) + graphics/256 *alpha 

As for chrominance - good luck. It might be easier to convert it all into the RGB colour space before mixing if you want to mix in colour.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

try this for liminance. 

output = pixel/256 *(256-alpha) + graphics/256 *alpha 

As for chrominance - good luck. It might be easier to convert it all into the RGB colour space before mixing if you want to mix in colour. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, but I need ti create the alpha channel and I also need to see an example of how to connect the alpha channel in SOPC.  

MIKE
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

have the same problem: 

i need to configure alpha blending on DE2 without using CPU 

I've found some information about Alpha Blending Mixer over google with next request: 

alpha blending mixer sopc example 

but in every manual NIOS processor is used 

does anyone have sth much useful, like working examples?