FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

PCIe SR-IOV Arria 10 Configuration Space

agula
New Contributor I

Hi All,

Is the configuration space handled completely by the IP, or does the memory for the configuration space exist in your application logic memory. For example, is it in the user-space bar logic of your physical or virtual function ? If I am trying to generate MSI-X interrupts, do I need to manually write to the MSI-X capability struct at address 10h of the configuration space or is this handled completely by  the PCIe driver API calls.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hello Sir,

For MSI-X, you will need to configure the parameters in the IP GUI as below:

IP Settings -> Interrupt capabilities -> PF0 (VF) MSI-X

BoonT_Intel_0-1608023095103.png

And this parameters is map to the Figure 46 “MSI-X Capability Registers” as describe in the UG- https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_a10_pcie_sriov.pdf#page=82

So, from the host (driver), you will need read these MSI-X capabilities register to check the table and PBA offset. 

0 Kudos
agula
New Contributor I

Hi !

Thanks for your reply. Could you please try to elaborate more ? I am not sure , I get the complete picture. Based on what I read, the table size is equivalent to how many vectors can be generated. If you set the VF msi-x table size to 2. Does this mean you have two distinct interrupts that can be generated ?  Does this also mean that every other VF also has this msi-x table of size 2  as well ?

I also need more clarification on where the msi-x table and pba table actually reside. For example, if I set BIR to be 0 for VFs. Where does this table actually reside? Is it in the user-application on-chip memory of the VF bar0  at address offset 0 ? Then to generate an interrupt for VF 1 go to that memory location read the addresses and set the request and set the PBA to the appropriate value ?

Based on the documentation provided in the user guide. It seems to me that the user-application logic needs to know, where the MSI-X table is to read the address and data for a specific interrupt to trigger. 

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Let me try to answer one by one:

If you set the VF msi-x table size to 2. Does this mean you have two distinct interrupts that can be generated? -> Yes

Does this also mean that every other VF also has this msi-x table of size 2 as well? -> Yes

You can see the table is actually assigned to a BAR that you set in the GUI. And you have to define the table by yourself. The table that mentions here is in Figure 32. Format of MSI-X Table.

I also need more clarification on where the msi-x table and pba table actually reside. For example, if I set BIR to be 0 for VFs. Where does this table actually reside? Is it in the user-application on-chip memory of the VF bar0 at address offset 0? Then to generate an interrupt for VF 1 go to that memory location read the addresses and set the request and set the PBA to the appropriate value?

è If I understand your questions correctly, then the answer is yes for all. It is depending on what component you connect the MSI-X BAR. Most of the user connects it to an on-chip memory that contains the MSI-X table. For details, you may see Figure 31. MSI-X Interrupt Components. Items 1-5.

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos