FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5881 Discussions

PCIe transmit and receive path latency

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to figure out how much latency for a certain configuration of the HIP PCIe MegaCore I can expect on both the transmitter and receiver path of an endpoint device. The reason for this is to determine whether the Hard PCIe IP + internal PHY or the Soft PCIe IP + external PHY provides the solution with the least amount of latency. According to Solution ID 'rd12072009_347' from the Altera Knowledge Base it should be possible to obtain the answer from a simulation. 

I currently have the simulation up and running in modelsim-altera which uses the auto generated 'pcie_core_example_chaining' project. I have disabled the DMA functionality and the BFM driver now simply generates some basic read memory procedures. I understand most of the Avalon-ST signals which provide me information about the application layer of the IP implementation. I can see when the read request is received and when the read completion is send back. I however do not understand exactly what signals of the remaining layers the IP provides and how I can use these to determine the actual latency. The rx_in and tx_out signals of the core seem to toggle continuously in the simulation so it is not possible for me to see when a transaction starts/stops on the serial PCIe lines. I appreciate any help or guidance.  

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am also interested in this question. 

I also tested the auto generated 'pcie_core_example_chaining' model in ModelSim, the signals tx_st_data and rx_st_data are changed, but the signals tx_out and rx_in don't change. 

How can I measured the latency on the PCIe HIP?