FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Problems with Deinterlacer IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have some trouble about the use of Deinterlacer IP from Altera VIP suite. So I'm asking you some questions. 

In my design, my FPGA doesn't have to do any kind of video elaboration, because we have a graphic processor which has to do that. This is the routing of video signal: 

video PAL -> video decoder -> FPGA (only routing) -> processor (with some elaborations) -> FPGA (only routing) -> encoder -> LVDS 

Unfortunately, the processor can't deinterlace the video, so that, when there is a movement, we experience lines on the moving objects. 

So I decided to use the Deinterlacer IP from VIP suite. I thought that this routing could work: 

video PAL (digital) -> Clocked Video Input IP (interlaced video) -> Deinterlacer -> Clocked Video Output IP (progressive video) 

(Please see the picture) 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8581  

As I am new with VIP suite, at first I used only CVI -> CVO, without any elaboration. All is fine with these settings: 720 x 576 the resolution, 8 bit per color plane, 2 color planes in sequence, sync embedded in video. These settings are both for CVI and CVO. 

Then I put the deinterlacer setting a BOB scanline duplication algorithm without Frame Buffer. CVO is now not for interlaced video and has these parameters: 

Active picture line: 45 

Ancillary packet insertion: 8 

Horizontal blanking: 144 

Vertical blanking: 49 

only for Frame/Field 1 in Embedded Sync Configuration. The other are all 0. 

The result is that I see only few lines on top of the screen, but the other pixel aren't ok, there is no image. Please note that the first lines have been correctly deinterlaced. 

I also checked control packets on Signal Tap II and after the deinterlacer IP I see a progressive code correctly. 

Why have I this issue? Is that a troughput problem? Do I have to use necessarily a Frame Buffer? If yes, how can I do that without a ddr ram on my board? 

Thank you for your attention
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I've found overflow and underflow (in CVI and CVO) going to 1 and stayng still 1 while looking in SignalTap. I'm quite sure the problem is about troughput. I've the FIFO for the CVI equal to 1920 and the one in the CVO 1440 with 1439 the level for starting output (I've doubled the 720 lines of the progressive PAL, because of the BOB duplication algorithm). 

But nothing solved the problem, I still see few deinterlaced lines and after nonsense pixels.
0 Kudos