FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

QSYS SPI not parametrized ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to test my own SPI (master) BFM so I used QSYS o create a simple design: SPI_BRIDGE and one ONCHP RAM. My question is: 

How can I find out the parameter of the SPI_BRIDGE ? Is it 32bit address and 32bit data? i.e. do I send it one clock for W/R 

followed by 32 clocks for address and 32 clocks for data? The SPI_BRIDGE is the only Avalon master, no NIOS. How can I set its parameters? 

Thanks, 

S.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have any answers for you, as I ran into some similar questions/uncertainties with some of the SPI stuff. 

When it came to implementing a slave device, I ended up using the spi slave to avalon MM master found on the alterawiki site. I customized it for word/address size and simulated it so I understood how it worked. It seemed like a better starting point for me since there was some documentation. There must be a better way to use the altera SPI stuff but it wasn't obvious to me. 

Hopefully you will get a more helpful response as I would like to know more as well. 

Lance
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't have any answers for you, as I ran into some similar questions/uncertainties with some of the SPI stuff. 

When it came to implementing a slave device, I ended up using the spi slave to avalon MM master found on the alterawiki site. I customized it for word/address size and simulated it so I understood how it worked. It seemed like a better starting point for me since there was some documentation. There must be a better way to use the altera SPI stuff but it wasn't obvious to me. 

Hopefully you will get a more helpful response as I would like to know more as well. 

Lance 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Lance, 

I sort of cleared the mystery a bit when found the spec. for the spi_bridge_MM. The spec's link is broken... but if you google it you see how screwy it is to use. 

Anyway, I used a external-master-bridge with an external slave SPI, instead. 

Cheers, 

S.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Shvitzer, 

Thanks! -- screwy indeed. 

I downloaded the spi bridge design example. At least it *seems* complete.  

Lance