FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Quartus 9.1 doesn't inferred RAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello folks, 

I'm working on a project that requires large data amount serialization... If I implement this component logic elements based, it consumes lots of valuable resources... so I'm implementing it using memory elements.  

I developed a serializator with a customized version of the Altera's design example "ram_dual.vhd".  

The main modifications are: 

- Its output returns only one bit; 

- There is an input "read_address_pos" which receives the position number of data that will be outputed. So, I need some logic to generate all the memory positions and serialize the bits.. 

The file can be seen at the attached file "ram_dual_32p1.vhd"... 

I was using Quartus 8.1 to synthesize and it was inferring memory bits correctly.. But I migrate the project to Quartus 9.1 sp2 and it's inferring the same vhd source as logic elements. I checked the settings and they are also the same! Am I missing something? 

Thanks in advance, 

Willian
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

Quartus 9.0 SP2 also infers a memory block from that code. I don't have 9.1 here at hand to test. 

Often, Quartus prints out a message explaining why it did not infer RAM blocks for arrays. Can you find such a message in the log? 

And by the way, what device family are you targeting?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sometimes it only inferrs if the RAM is "Big enough". 

So I suggest you try inferring a bigger one.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your replies.. 

I also compiled that code in Quartus 9.0 and it infers block memory, as I wish... But in 9.1 version it doesn't infer them... I looked for some message but it just give this message "Info: Implemented 352 logic cells"... My device is an Arria GX EP1AGX35DF780C6. 

I also tried to increase the size memory to 512 and 1024 bits, but it still inferring dedicated registers... :( 

Any other ideas? 

Thanks in advance... 

Willian
0 Kudos