FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Remote System Upgrade for ARRIA 10 FPGA Devices over UART with the Nios II Processor

APPU_appu
New Contributor I

Hi @n_scott_pearson 

We want design Remote System Upgrade for ARRIA 10 FPGA Devices over UART with the Nios II Processor.

1. We want use UART terminal to upgrade .rpd file to flash EPCQL1024

can you explain me how to design that one. we tried all the example design but we are not able upgrade remotly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After you update the rpd file, do you performed reconfiguration or power cycle the board to see if the new image is being configured into the FPGA?

The reason is that the rpd file update is only updating the flash content and not reconfigure the FPGA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @APPU_appu,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
Please help us better understand the situation with a few clarification, 1) What are the design example that have been tried? 2) As mention not able to upgrade, is there any error/warning upon compilation or programming? 3) Upgrades are done via .rpd files, did you managed to try programming via active serial interface?

Warm regards.
BB

0 Kudos
APPU_appu
New Contributor I

Hi @BoonBengT_Intel 

Thanks for reply....

This is our requirement: Remote System Upgrade over UART based on Nios II Processor with EPCQ1024 (ARRIA 10  FPGA Development Kit

1. I reffered example project of max 10 and cyclone V remote system upgrade over uart based on the nios || Processor.

2. there is no warning

3.yes

*   In nios eclipse we don't how to write main.c program
*  generating the .rpd file using .sof and .hex we not abled update over flash 

below i attached one capture in that enter programming file displaying if  i tried to update .rpd file it is not sending

Ashwi_0-1617960412923.png

0 Kudos
APPU_appu
New Contributor I

Ashwi_0-1618393843749.png

@BoonBengT_Intel @JohnT_Intel @Deshi_Intel  @n_scott_pearson 

flash upgraded completely .
1. after upgrading it is not giving expected result, it means after upgrading led should glow. if load .sof of same project lead will glow.but if load .rpd file led is not glowing.

upgrading is taking more than 3 hours(Uart baudrate value is 115200)

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

After you update the rpd file, do you performed reconfiguration or power cycle the board to see if the new image is being configured into the FPGA?

The reason is that the rpd file update is only updating the flash content and not reconfigure the FPGA

0 Kudos
APPU_appu
New Contributor I

Thanks @JohnT_Intel 
yes I powered off and turned on but there is no output.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know if you generate big endian or little endian format of rpd file? Have you try the other format? Have you verify the contain of the flash to be correct?

0 Kudos
APPU_appu
New Contributor I

Hi @JohnT_Intel 

little endian of .rdp file

0 Kudos