FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Strange and random (!?) error of the Control block

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

sometimes it happens that I get the following errors, the problem is that they seem to appear in a random way, for example my design was working correctly but I needed to rename it and to change the directory, I did it and obviously I changed also the path of the Control block, then I tried to simulate and I got: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'lastSlice.high <= inWidth - 1'. Error in block '.../Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux_re' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:544.  

Error in '../Control' while executing C MEX S-function 'mip_control', (mdlStart), at time 0. MATLAB error message: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'lastSlice.high <= inWidth - 1'. Error in block '.../Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux_re' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:544.  

Why that? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a bug. Are you absolutely sure that this only occurred after changing the Control block path? I would be surprised if that caused it. 

It's most likely occurring where an Adder feeds a Mux. Look at the blocks around Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux in your design. Have you hard-coded the types on any blocks in this area? Perhaps you can pare down the design so that it only contains a few blocks and yet has this problem. If you can, please post it here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This is a bug. Are you absolutely sure that this only occurred after changing the Control block path? I would be surprised if that caused it. 

--- Quote End ---  

99% sure. 

--- Quote Start ---  

It's most likely occurring where an Adder feeds a Mux. Look at the blocks around Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux in your design. Have you hard-coded the types on any blocks in this area? Perhaps you can pare down the design so that it only contains a few blocks and yet has this problem. If you can, please post it here. 

--- Quote End ---  

I cant post the whole design but I posted where the error occurs, for 'hard-coded' do you mean if I defined the output type mode for each block without using the "Inherit via internal rule"? 

If you do, yes, I did hard-code them. 

ps: the multiplier is treating complex data
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I cant post the whole design but I posted where the error occurs, for 'hard-coded' do you mean if I defined the output type mode for each block without using the "Inherit via internal rule"? 

If you do, yes, I did hard-code them. 

--- Quote End ---  

Could you post that picture again, but with types shown and ideally the other block that feeds the mux. You can show the types using the Format Menu. Select "Port/Signal Displays" -> "Port Data Types". If the types don't show up then, you need to refresh your model. Press Ctrl + D to do that. 

(and yes that's what I meant by hard-code them)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Could you post that picture again, but with types shown and ideally the other block that feeds the mux. You can show the types using the Format Menu. Select "Port/Signal Displays" -> "Port Data Types". If the types don't show up then, you need to refresh your model. Press Ctrl + D to do that. 

(and yes that's what I meant by hard-code them) 

--- Quote End ---  

Problem solved, I realized that the file of the Edit Param block was not in the right directory, after having fixed this the problem disappeared. 

Ok it was my fault that I didnt move the file .m , but to understand this reading that error it was not so straightforward :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mmm, the problem appeared again, I was hard-coding the types then I tried to simulate the design and the error reappeared 

I have attached the design with the data type, in this case only the output of the Mux is fixed, the rests are 'inhrited' 

Quick update: I have found that if the output of that Mux is bigger than 36bits the design does not work, is there any way to overcome this problem ? (the full design is quite small so I would prefer to not break down it)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try using a Convert block with rounding and saturation disabled to reduce the bitwidth before the mux. I would also put a convert block after the multiplier before the delay to do the same thing.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Try using a Convert block with rounding and saturation disabled to reduce the bitwidth before the mux. I would also put a convert block after the multiplier before the delay to do the same thing. 

--- Quote End ---  

cool, thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im facing a similar error in another design: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'inPort.m_inWidth <=WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH'. Error in block '...Subsystem/tdm_Mux_coef_2_re_c' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:1299.  

Error in '.../Control' while executing C MEX S-function 'mip_control', (mdlStart), at time 0. MATLAB error message: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'inPort.m_inWidth <= WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH'. Error in block '.../Subsystem/tdm_Mux_coef_2_re_c' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:1299.  

I get the same error for 3 mux, 2 of them feeding the same multiplier and another one feeding another mux. 

I have tried the solution of the Convert block to descrease the datawidth, even if i could not but i wanted just to check if it would work or not, but at the end i get the same error. 

I get also a funny thing, let's say i have Mux1, Mux2, Mux3, if I add the convert blocks to Mux1 then I get error on the Mux2, if I add them also to Mux2 I get the error on the Mux3, if every Mux has the convert blocks I get the error again on the Mux1 ! 

Any of them has loops. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH is 512 so something is trying to generate a signal that's more 512 bits wide. If you're doing that then that's your problem. 

If you don't have any signals that wide, then you're going to have to post a cut down version of your design so I can see what's going on. Ideally please post an MDL file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH is 512 so something is trying to generate a signal that's more 512 bits wide. If you're doing that then that's your problem. 

If you don't have any signals that wide, then you're going to have to post a cut down version of your design so I can see what's going on. Ideally please post an MDL file. 

--- Quote End ---  

I dont have signals wider then 512 bits. 

I have posted what I can, that Mult is feeding an adder, I have hard-coded almost all the data type, so I really dont know why it's happening. 

Is there any check that I could do? 

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm afraid that's not really enough to go on. Ideally you need to create a design that is as small as possible that still has the problem. In most cases, you should be able to do this without giving anyway any secrets in your design.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One pitfall I found with dspbuilder is that of model pointing to another setup m file as you move around your files. 

Try open .mdl using wordpad and check and correct the name of setup file, possibly in 3 places. save and close matlab then reopen and check again...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's not really a fault of DSP Builder, but of Simulink/MATLAB. DSP Builder has no control over MATLAB paths beyond its initial set up.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have "a kind of" solved the problem by adding In/Out wrapper of the basic blockset, I have two IP connected, if they are connected with these wrappers they work perfectly, if not (all the blocks from the advanced library) I get that error....

0 Kudos