cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Strange and random (!?) error of the Control block

Hi everyone, 

sometimes it happens that I get the following errors, the problem is that they seem to appear in a random way, for example my design was working correctly but I needed to rename it and to change the directory, I did it and obviously I changed also the path of the Control block, then I tried to simulate and I got: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'lastSlice.high <= inWidth - 1'. Error in block '.../Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux_re' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:544.  

Error in '../Control' while executing C MEX S-function 'mip_control', (mdlStart), at time 0. MATLAB error message: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'lastSlice.high <= inWidth - 1'. Error in block '.../Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux_re' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:544.  

Why that? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

This is a bug. Are you absolutely sure that this only occurred after changing the Control block path? I would be surprised if that caused it. 

It's most likely occurring where an Adder feeds a Mux. Look at the blocks around Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux in your design. Have you hard-coded the types on any blocks in this area? Perhaps you can pare down the design so that it only contains a few blocks and yet has this problem. If you can, please post it here.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

This is a bug. Are you absolutely sure that this only occurred after changing the Control block path? I would be surprised if that caused it. 

--- Quote End ---  

99% sure. 

--- Quote Start ---  

It's most likely occurring where an Adder feeds a Mux. Look at the blocks around Subsystem1/Subsystem/Mux in your design. Have you hard-coded the types on any blocks in this area? Perhaps you can pare down the design so that it only contains a few blocks and yet has this problem. If you can, please post it here. 

--- Quote End ---  

I cant post the whole design but I posted where the error occurs, for 'hard-coded' do you mean if I defined the output type mode for each block without using the "Inherit via internal rule"? 

If you do, yes, I did hard-code them. 

ps: the multiplier is treating complex data
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I cant post the whole design but I posted where the error occurs, for 'hard-coded' do you mean if I defined the output type mode for each block without using the "Inherit via internal rule"? 

If you do, yes, I did hard-code them. 

--- Quote End ---  

Could you post that picture again, but with types shown and ideally the other block that feeds the mux. You can show the types using the Format Menu. Select "Port/Signal Displays" -> "Port Data Types". If the types don't show up then, you need to refresh your model. Press Ctrl + D to do that. 

(and yes that's what I meant by hard-code them)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Could you post that picture again, but with types shown and ideally the other block that feeds the mux. You can show the types using the Format Menu. Select "Port/Signal Displays" -> "Port Data Types". If the types don't show up then, you need to refresh your model. Press Ctrl + D to do that. 

(and yes that's what I meant by hard-code them) 

--- Quote End ---  

Problem solved, I realized that the file of the Edit Param block was not in the right directory, after having fixed this the problem disappeared. 

Ok it was my fault that I didnt move the file .m , but to understand this reading that error it was not so straightforward :D
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Mmm, the problem appeared again, I was hard-coding the types then I tried to simulate the design and the error reappeared 

I have attached the design with the data type, in this case only the output of the Mux is fixed, the rests are 'inhrited' 

Quick update: I have found that if the output of that Mux is bigger than 36bits the design does not work, is there any way to overcome this problem ? (the full design is quite small so I would prefer to not break down it)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Try using a Convert block with rounding and saturation disabled to reduce the bitwidth before the mux. I would also put a convert block after the multiplier before the delay to do the same thing.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Try using a Convert block with rounding and saturation disabled to reduce the bitwidth before the mux. I would also put a convert block after the multiplier before the delay to do the same thing. 

--- Quote End ---  

cool, thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Im facing a similar error in another design: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'inPort.m_inWidth <=WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH'. Error in block '...Subsystem/tdm_Mux_coef_2_re_c' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:1299.  

Error in '.../Control' while executing C MEX S-function 'mip_control', (mdlStart), at time 0. MATLAB error message: 

Altera DSP Builder Advanced Internal Restriction: 'inPort.m_inWidth <= WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH'. Error in block '.../Subsystem/tdm_Mux_coef_2_re_c' in mip_common/hw_fu.cpp:1299.  

I get the same error for 3 mux, 2 of them feeding the same multiplier and another one feeding another mux. 

I have tried the solution of the Convert block to descrease the datawidth, even if i could not but i wanted just to check if it would work or not, but at the end i get the same error. 

I get also a funny thing, let's say i have Mux1, Mux2, Mux3, if I add the convert blocks to Mux1 then I get error on the Mux2, if I add them also to Mux2 I get the error on the Mux3, if every Mux has the convert blocks I get the error again on the Mux1 ! 

Any of them has loops. 

Thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH is 512 so something is trying to generate a signal that's more 512 bits wide. If you're doing that then that's your problem. 

If you don't have any signals that wide, then you're going to have to post a cut down version of your design so I can see what's going on. Ideally please post an MDL file.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

WIDE_MAX_DATAWIDTH is 512 so something is trying to generate a signal that's more 512 bits wide. If you're doing that then that's your problem. 

If you don't have any signals that wide, then you're going to have to post a cut down version of your design so I can see what's going on. Ideally please post an MDL file. 

--- Quote End ---  

I dont have signals wider then 512 bits. 

I have posted what I can, that Mult is feeding an adder, I have hard-coded almost all the data type, so I really dont know why it's happening. 

Is there any check that I could do? 

Thanks a lot!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm afraid that's not really enough to go on. Ideally you need to create a design that is as small as possible that still has the problem. In most cases, you should be able to do this without giving anyway any secrets in your design.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

One pitfall I found with dspbuilder is that of model pointing to another setup m file as you move around your files. 

Try open .mdl using wordpad and check and correct the name of setup file, possibly in 3 places. save and close matlab then reopen and check again...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

That's not really a fault of DSP Builder, but of Simulink/MATLAB. DSP Builder has no control over MATLAB paths beyond its initial set up.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have "a kind of" solved the problem by adding In/Out wrapper of the basic blockset, I have two IP connected, if they are connected with these wrappers they work perfectly, if not (all the blocks from the advanced library) I get that error....