FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

Strange error with QDR-II+ IP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We're using the QDR-II+ controller IP on the Stratix V 5SGSED8N. We'd like to have a single controller that can access 4x 144 Mbit QDRs (i.e. 576 Mb of accessible memory). Due to pin count issues, we'd like to do this with 4, 18-bit wide devices, like the Cypress CY7C2663KV18. So our 4-device wide interface will have 72-bit wide data interfaces. 

Using the megawizard in quartus 12.1 64 bit, I've generated IP that appears to do this and a basic implementation. In the megawizard, I selected a device width of 36 using x36 emulated mode, and chose a device width of two. This does generate a 72-bit wide data interface. However, it won't place and route. It gives the cryptic error message: 

Error (332000): ERROR: Argument <pin_object> is an empty collection. Specify one that is a non-empty collection. while executing "get_pin_info -name $pin_info" ("foreach" body line 139) invoked from within "foreach { inst } $instances { if { } { # Clean-up stale content unset pins } array set pins $qdr72_p0_ddr_db($inst) set ..." (file "qdr72/qdr72_p0.sdc" line 171)  

which I assume are related to a pair of these Critical Warning messages: 

Critical Warning: qdr72_p0.sdc: Failed to find CPS output for pin  

an archived version of the project is attached. 

Has anybody seen this error before? What does it mean? How can I get around it? Is what we're trying to do actually supported by the IP (4x18)? 

Thanks in advance :)
0 Kudos
0 Replies