FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

Stratix IV and DDR2 - pin assignment problem?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i created a megafunction with the wizard for using the ddr2 memory on my stratix IV-board. 

But there seems to be a problem in the pin assignment. while place&route i get the following error: 

Error: Can't place M1_DDR2_dm[0] with OCT calibration block ddrRAM:mem_if|ddrRAM_controller_phy:controller_phy_inst|ddrRAM_memphy_top:memphy_top_inst|ddrRAM_oct_control:uoct_control|sd1a_0 in I/O Bank 3A because it already has pins driven by OCT calibration block termination_blk0 

[...] 

here is an excerpt of my pin-assignment file: 

----------------- 

set_location_assignment PIN_AF25 -to termination_blk0~_rup_pad 

set_location_assignment PIN_AG25 -to termination_blk0~_rdn_pad 

set_instance_assignment -name PASSIVE_RESISTOR "PULL-UP" -to OCT_RUP 

set_instance_assignment -name PASSIVE_RESISTOR "PULL-DOWN" -to OCT_RDN 

set_location_assignment PIN_AV32 -to M1_DDR2_dq[0] 

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "SSTL-18 CLASS I" -to M1_DDR2_dq[0] -tag __ddrRAM 

set_instance_assignment -name INPUT_TERMINATION "PARALLEL 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to M1_DDR2_dq[0] -tag __ddrRAM 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_TERMINATION "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to M1_DDR2_dq[0] -tag __ddrRAM 

----------------- 

The pin-assignment-file was partially created with the tcl-script (tools -> tcl scripts -> pin_assignments.tcl), that was generated with the megafunction. 

Can anyone help me? 

Or can anyone submit a working pin-assignment-file for stratix iv? 

Greetz
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

have you taken a look at the example designs that come with the devkit?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is this AltMemPHY or UniPHY?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

UniPHY and there is no example design for uniPHY. :-(

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In UniPHY the oct pins are called OCT_rup and OCT_rdn. This is what you need to connect your pin assignments to.  

In your project they are connected to termination_blk0~_rup_pad etc. This is an AltmemPHY thing. Reassign these pins assignments to the correct pins. 

I would delete all assignments and rerun the <>_pin_assignments.tcl file.