FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

System Console Service Type Commands (slave is not an open <service_type> service)

JFree1
Novice

Hi all,

I'm using a transceiver toolkit example found here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/on-chip-debugging.html

Specifically, I'm using the "sv_1ch_40b_10312mbps" design found in the v12.1 Transceiver Toolkit Examples.

I'm using version 17.1 and modified the design for Arria V GZ.

The design compiles fine, but programming I am stuck in system console on an error I don't understand. I am trying to run the "link_test.tcl" provided in the design (also included as txt files below). I have not changed any of the source files for the project. The problem is whenever I try to use the data_pattern_generator service type commands, I get the following error:

error: data_pattern_generator_is_generating: /devices/5AGZME5H(2|3)|5AGZME5K(2|3)@2#USB-0/(link)/JTAG/alt_sld_fab_sldfabric.node_0/phy_0/master_0.master/data_pattern_generator_0.csr_slave is not an open data_pattern_generator service

This happens for any pattern generator system console command. The pattern checker in this example seems to work fine and responds to all commands. I have checked the service path, and confirm it's opening that pattern generator service, but still always the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.

* I have also tried controlling the data pattern generator IP in other designs I have working without success. Previously I have always just written and read through the master directly by slave memory registers, but I am trying to figure out why this method won't work for me.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi John, As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the XCVR toolkit design examples. Based on my previous experience, generally it is recommended to use the same Quartus version that the design example created to ensure compatibility. Would you mind to try to see if any of the following will help: 1. In the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/on-chip-debugging.html, the latest designs is of v13.0sp1. You may try to use these latest versions to see if there is any improvement. 2. When you observe the link_test.tcl seems not working, just to check with you if you try to control the Transmitter using the toolkit GUI instead of using the TCL commands, is there any difference in observation? 3. If the above still not working, can you try to use the older compatible Quartus version ie v13.0sp1 to see if it works. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos
JFree1
Novice

The Transceiver Toolkit GUI works fine, so I know the design works. It's just the data pattern generator commands don't work when I try to use them in system console tcl scripts. The commands work for the checker IP core though. As I mentioned earlier, this design is an example of this functionality not working, and I have seen this behavior in other designs I've worked on that use the data pattern generator and checker IP. If it's a version issue, I am not sure why complete IP functionality would have carried over for the checker core but not the generator core when they are both in the IP catalog for my version.

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi John, Thanks for your update. Glad to hear that the XCVR Toolkit GUI is working fine. Based on this, we can tell that the design and generator is working fine. One of the possibility that I can think might be due issue related to the TCL script. Based on my understanding, generally XCVR toolkit is used to find the optimal PMA analog settings for specific board setup. You may use the toolkit GUI as workaround to find the optimal values and then port back to your own design. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin
0 Kudos