FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5887 Discussions

Using ALTLVDS_TX Serializer in Qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A beginner with FPGA design - I am using the Transceiver Board 

Cyclone IV GX EP4CGX15BF14 - The speed grade of the device is capable of 2.5Gbps. I spent days reading through the tutorials, training and manuals...Ughhh 

I want to design a cyclic serializer that will repeat an address selectable sequence of 128bits at the maximum bit rate. (no protocol, erc or handshake bits are to be used).  

Using the MegaWizard I instantiated an ALTLVDS_TX component with 8bit in, one channel out, Data rate 2500 (Mbps) PLL_lock signal and Byte_clock=2500/8=312.5MBps  

1. I am uncertain that the core of the FPGA can support the 312.5MBps data rate - I read that some FPGA's can have double byte input to halve the input data rate - however I did not find an appropriate option like that in the MegaWizard. Any ideas how to interface the input of the serializer to memory (clearly I need to cycle through 16 addresses for an 8bit wide memory for each 128bit long sequence)?  

2. I am not sure that I selected the correct signal types for a component in Qsys - see attached Qsys file - the data input to the serializer specifically 

I used Avalon Streaming slave.  

3. I defined the reference clock for the Serializer data input using the Byte_clock and I need to create an addressing scheme and a pipeline? so that a new byte is available at the dataInput of the serializer after it serializes the current byte? 

I would appreciate any suggestions
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is Altera's responses on the subject: 

The double-width modes or single-width modes are meant for the transceivers, which is used in the ALTGX megafunctions.  

However, for ALTLVDS the serialization factor is limited until 10. Means if you would need 2 bit on the output, and each driving 8 bit data input which gives 16:2. It is impossible to have 16:1 from the meagfunction either in soft or hard serdes. The only way would be to pay some effort for writing own code for the serdes 

ALTLVDS_TX can not support 2.5Gbps data rate on Cyclone IV GX device family, you might want to use ALTGX instead.