FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Using Quartus 19.1 and Platform Designer on Windows I get an error when executing Generate on a Cycleone IV GX where I have instantiated a PCIe interface using PCIe hard IP. This works in QSys on Quartus 16. Is there a work-around or am I stuck using 16?

DShro3
Beginner

Error: altgx_internal: error copying "C:/intelfpga_lite/19.1/quartus/../ip/altera/ip_compiler_for_pci_express/lib/altpcie_serdes_3cgx_x1d_gen1_08p.v": no such file or directory

while executing

"file copy -force $source_file $outdir/$output_file"

(procedure "my_generation_callback" line 73)

invoked from within

"my_generation_callback"

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Are you using 19.1 Quartus Lite version?

Is the file exist in your quartus installation as below?

C:/intelfpga_lite/19.1/quartus/../ip/altera/ip_compiler_for_pci_express/lib/altpcie_serdes_3cgx_x1d_gen1_08p.v

0 Kudos
DShro3
Beginner
I am using 19.1 Lite. I could not find that file in the 19.1 install directory, but it does exist in my 16.1 directory: C:\intelFPGA_lite\16.1\ip\altera\ip_compiler_for_pci_express\lib Note that the path where the file exists in 16.1 is not the same as the path reported in the error message. The path in the error message is incomplete, and I can’t find a path that matches up with it. In particular, I can’t find any subdirectory named ip_compiler_for_pci_experss anywhere in 19.1. However, I do find a file named ip_compiler_for_pci_express.odip in C:\intelFPGA_lite\19.1\quartus\common\misc\outdated_ip. I tried removing the PCIe instantiation from my design and adding it back, but I still got the same error message when I tried to generate HDL. David Shroyer Delta Computer Systems, Inc. +1-360-254-8688 dshroyer@deltamotion.com
0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Hi David,

I installed the quartus lite 19.1 in my PC and I also get the same errors when generating the Qsys. Looks like this is a valid issue.

I reported this to the development team.

However, from your side, I will suggest you just stick on the older version. The reason is because for Lite edition, Intel planning to obsolete it in the future, thus it is unlikely we will put any fix for this. After get the confirmation, mostly it will just go with an errata/known issue.

Also, for Cyclone IV, I don't see is there any enhancement implement in recent quartus version. So, using the older version or newer version will give the same results. My suggestion is if you want to upgrade, maybe can consider for older version like 17.1, 18.0 or 18.1 see if this version also give the error. If not, then it is good to go...

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

0 Kudos
DShro3
Beginner
Thank you for looking into this. I ran into a different issue going to 17.1. I think I will stick to 16.1.2 which did work. When I migrate the design to a newer family I will try the latest software again. David Shroyer Delta Computer Systems, Inc. +1-360-254-8688 dshroyer@deltamotion.com
0 Kudos
RShie
Novice

Reported to the development team yet the problem still exists in 20.1

Intel FPGA software quality assurance right there for ya. 

Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

Hi.

Is this problem acknowledged by the development team?

Will it be fixed in Quartus Standard 21.1?

Is it possible to get a patch for Standard 20.1?

0 Kudos
SSmit7
Novice

Hi @BoonT_Intel 

I still get this issue in Quartus Standard 20.1.1. Surely this issue should have been fixed by now? Is there any plan to fix it at all?

Regards,

SS

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Thanks for your understanding. Stay safe.

0 Kudos
Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

Hi @BoonT_Intel .

This problem still exist in Quartus Standard 20.1.1.

It has become a bigger problem now due to ADV2110:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2020/why-is-there-seed-dependent-ram-data-corruption-quartus-std.html

Customers can't run the Screening Patch, nor update to 20.1 due to this problem!

Please create a patch that fix the PCIe IP.

0 Kudos
LinuxFanatic2018
Beginner

I confirm that problem still exists in QuartusLiteSetup-20.1.1.720-linux.run version!

When the patch will be abailable? Now will try 17.x version...

0 Kudos
Nikolay_Rognlien
New Contributor I

The workaround is to copy the following directory from 18.1 into same location in whatever newer release(20.1 and 21.1):

\18.1\ip\altera\ip_compiler_for_pci_express

Hopefully the directory will make it back into the 22.1 installation

0 Kudos