FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Using VIP suite with Triple Speed Ethernet (TSE)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo,  

i am working on a small Project with the Triple Speed Ethernet and VIP suite (Video and Image processing Suite). 

I need to send the data from the Testpattern Generator IP via Ethernet and show them in VLC Player. 

Did anyone try to combine such two IPs ? I searched a lot to find any example in QSYS to start with and didnt find any.  

Thanks a lot for any help ! 

Jalayan
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi first of all you have to decide the transport-protocol, such as HTTP or UDP. 

Secondly you have to decide maybe the compression algorithm such as JPEG, H264, things like that. 

If you have all of that maybe start to communicate first with a Webbrowser. (Shown in Ethernet-Ref-Design for Cyclone III Board) 

If that works, you could start to communicate with some "fixed" images. 

If that works, try to make it with the live-images... 

I hope that helps...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Taz1984,  

Thanks for answering the Question, i need to transport the data with RTP. Do u Know any good Library for UCOS ?  

Greetings  

Jalayan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, we implemented it based on the LWIP-Stack as baremetal-NIOS-program

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, so you're saying if i use the LWIP-Stack it will be easier to implement RTP ?  

where can i get the (HAL) library for RTP if i may ask ?  

Many Thanks !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is no library available I think, you have to implement it against the specification... 

Try to use the VLC-Player and wireshark to enforce the correct protocol. 

With this two you can send a stream from VLC first and receive the packets via wireshark... 

After that you should know more about the headers of udp and rtp...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i successfully recieved Datenpakete from VLC Player with UDP Header. I resended those Datenpakets to an another VLC Player and i was able to see the Video (with a very bad quality). I used the Iniche Stack  

i want to move forward and start receiving the RTP Pakets from VLC Player.  

Do u have any Examples or links or code that may help ? 

Thanks !  

Jalayan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

maybe the lwip reference design for the nios which is based on the tse design-example for the CIII120 Dev-Board

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can i bother u and give me the Link ?  

if u implemeted RTP can u show some of your code ?  

Thanks !  

Jalayan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TSE Design-Example [1]. 

LWIP [2] & [3] 

[1] http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-net-std-de.html 

[2] http://www.altera.co.jp/literature/tt/tt_nios2_lwip_tutorial.pdf 

[3] www.google.com -> search for "lwip nios" 

The RTP is an additional Protocol based on top of udp. You should be able to implement this state-machine on your own if you go through the lwip-stack... 

We are not here to solve the problems of the others, but to guide to the right direction... 

In this way everybody is able to learn something... =)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the Links !  

i reviewed the Lwip Designs, but im going to stick with the iniche Stack. 

but i didnt understand how can u send RGB data to the iniche Stack or Lwip Stack ?  

dont u need to need to give each Paket comming from the Testpattern generator IP (from the VIP Suite) an UDP Header before reaching the Iniche Stack or LwIP inorder to be capable sending these pakets again ?  

In case recieving the Pakets from the Triple speed Ethernet, the data pakets will contain an UDP Paket, but not if u recieve them them from the Testpattern generator. 

Thanks again for answering my questions ! 

Jalayan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

They are located at the RAM (gets to there by an own Stream->Memory Module with doublebuffering) and get their Header afterwards...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are not doing any encoding and your video bitrate is high, then you have to do it according to SMPTE 2022 standards. Otherwise encapsulate according to RFC standards.

0 Kudos