FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Using Video IP with time limited sof II

BMart12
New Contributor I

community.intel.com/t5/FPGA-Intellectual-Property/Using-Video-IP-with-time-limited-sof/m-p/1285319#M24002 

Hello,

I was instructed by AabdRhman_A_Intel to resubmit my inquiry regarding the time limited sof in using the Intel video and image processing IP.  I provide the link to the portion of the previous thread in which I provided the data regarding my issue for a second time.  You can use the link above to review the entire thread.

The short version is: using the time limited sof does not allow the graphic system on Linux to launch.  The diagnosis is that the time limited sof does not have a valid, which contradicts the literature that indicates I can evaluate the IP as long as the target is connected to the debug cable or the test interval is within an hour of launching.  The literature does not indicate that there are functional limitations on the IP.

Thanks,

Ben Martinez

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Ben Martinez

Welcome to INTEL forum. I’ll be taking this case and help you on the diagnosis of Video IP with time limited sof. But first, may I know, did you modify the design or just recompile the same design with different license type (temp license vs evaluation mode license)

0 Kudos
BMart12
New Contributor I

Hi AR_A,

Thank you for your quick response.  I did not use the identical Quartus project for both.  The design evolved from when I generated the RBF.  However, I can generate the time limited SOF from the project that produced the working RBF.  Please let me know if you need me to do that.

I am guessing the time limited SOF is generated by the evaluation mode license which is what I get when building the project with my standard license.  So, does changing the design affect the capability of the evaluation mode time limited SOF?

Thanks,

Ben Martinez

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for update. Yes, could you re-generate again he time limited SOF from the project that produced the working RBF. Provide the following logs and error screenshot if error happens.

0 Kudos
BMart12
New Contributor I

I will generate the time limited SOF.  You requested I provide you with logs but you did not specify which logs.  Let me know please.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Thanks for update. Kindly provide the .rbf and .sof log if error happen. 

0 Kudos
BMart12
New Contributor I

Hi AR_A,

I generated the time limited SOF using the project that originally produced the RBF.  Booting the system with the SOF launches the graphic terminal with the LXDE display.  I ran a test and confirmed that the second LCD also works.  This particular project was implemented several months ago.  We have progressed and produced new versions with additional modules and custom IP blocks.  Do I need to retrofit the new logic to this baseline?  The literature does not indicate I needed a previously working VIP license to make the time limited SOF work.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

Thanks for update. In summary :

•           Test passed : using old design with temp license that generate RBF

•           Test also passed : using old design with evaluation license that generate time limited sof

•           Test failed : using new design with evaluation license that generate time limited sof

in the test that you perform, we know that the original project can produce RBF and SOF file successfully. Yes, the literature does not indicate the license make the time limited SOF work. But here we can know that the design update is the cause of the failure not the licensing issue.

For your question “Do I need to retrofit the new logic to this baseline?” the suggestion is that you need to slowly isolate and debug which part of your new added design is causing the failure. The new design might uses some IP solution that required extra license that’s not supported in evaluation license end up causing failure.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter. It is not recommended to keep a Case idle too long without activities. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you 

0 Kudos
BMart12
New Contributor I

You may transition this thread to community support.  I face other urgencies and have not had time to isolate the element that causes the time limited sof to fail.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos