FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5986 Discussions

VCD sink block doesnt generate VCD file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

The VCD sink block says it generates a .vcd file and .tcl file for viewing the simulation result in third-party simulator. I have tried generating VCD file by connecting VCD sink block from Altera DSP builder to the desired ports in my design. After running a simulation all it generates is a .txt file. When I opened the file it contans simulation result in vector format. But it doesn't have any information about port name and all. Please I need to generate .VCD file for Powerplay analysis tool in quartus. 

Regards, 

Dilip
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using Linux? If so, then see the errata (http://www.altera.com/literature/rn/rn_dsp_builder_101.pdf). I think when it says HDL files, it means VCD files.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes I found that VCD sink has a bug in linux version. Anyway now I am exporting the design to VHDL and calling Modelsim from Quartus tool to generate VCD. Thanks for your time.