FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

VIP Clocked Video Output to LVDS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear community, 

I wonder if anyone has used the Clocked Video Output from the VIP (Video IP Suite) together with an LVDS display. We think about using this IP with the ALTLVDS_TX. Unfortunately, I didn’t find a demo project or something else. Could you help out? 

Best regards, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to write your own LVDS serializer. It's extremely simple.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The CVO will output the active video and blanking period, you only wanted to transmit video data? How about the V sync and H sync signals?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

CVO outputs DATA, VSYNC, HSYNC, DE and in general all the required signals for any use.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, so the LVDS serializer is only for video data.. I wonder how you wanted to transmit V sync and H sync signals.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yeah, so the LVDS serializer is only for video data.. I wonder how you wanted to transmit V sync and H sync signals. 

--- Quote End ---  

VSYNC and HSYNC (and usually DE) are embedded into the LVDS stream.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I’m sorry for my late reply. As Socrates wrote it is pretty simple.  

IP-Component ALTLVDS_TX 

Number of channels: 3 

Deserialization factor: 7 

Output data rate: 497 Mbps 

Clock frequency: 71 MHz 

Phase alignment of “tx in”: 0 dgrees 

Register “tx_in” input port using: Checked, “tx_coreclock” 

Use “tx_outclock” output port: Checked 

Outclock divide factor: 7 

Phase alignment of “tx_outclock”: 0 degree 

A bit tricky was to assign the values in correct order, due to the fact that for most display the clock is in the “middle” of the packet. Therefore, it was necessary to rearrange the bits a little bit: 

wire altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in; wire altlvds_tx_disp_tx_inclock; wire altlvds_tx_disp_tx_out; wire altlvds_tx_disp_tx_outclock; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_inclock = vga_clk; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_r; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_g; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_r; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_g; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_b; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_g; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_b; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_hs; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_vs; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vid_datavalid; assign altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in = vga_b; assign TXCLK = altlvds_tx_disp_tx_outclock; assign TXOUT0 = altlvds_tx_disp_tx_out; assign TXOUT1 = altlvds_tx_disp_tx_out; assign TXOUT2 = altlvds_tx_disp_tx_out; altlvds_tx_disp altlvds_tx_disp_inst ( .tx_in (altlvds_tx_disp_tx_in), .tx_inclock (altlvds_tx_disp_tx_inclock), .tx_out (altlvds_tx_disp_tx_out), .tx_outclock (altlvds_tx_disp_tx_outclock) );
0 Kudos