FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Video processing demonstration.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

I already posted a similar question in another subforum but didn't succeed 

to get what I wanted to know. Maybe because the first post was too long. 

So this time, let's make it simple: did anybody succeed to compile and run 

this demo: 

http://www.nioswiki.com/Nios2EmbeddedEvaluationKit/Altera's_Video_and_Image_Processing_Suite_Demo_on_the_NEEK 

- I have installed the latest Quartus and NIOSII software 

- I downloaded the NEEK_VIP_demo_LCD_SVGA_V91_2 

Basically it compiles out of the box (SOPC generate, Quartus Compile, and NIOS 

compile). But the application has no interactivity at all as it is supposed to have. 

It just displays a live image under a blue bar and that's about it. 

It does not reach the main program's infinite loop. 

Thanks for any hint. 

Pascal
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a pre-built SOF/ELF combination that should work. It will also work to re-compile just the software for your own experimentation. In order to get the whole thing functioning properly, there are some VIP-related constraints that need to be understood/applied prior to QII compile. As far as I know, this is not done automagically and/or there are errors in the existing constraints. 

For my needs, it was enough to just muck with the software side of things, so I didn't dig too deeply into the hardware side. 

Cheers, 

-slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

Thanks for your reply. The prebuild SOF is fine, maybe. But I will need to compile 

anyway because I will need to add a few things (SD card, serial port…). And that's 

why I compiled this supposedly working version. 

Now if you could help me (which things need to be understood before compiling…) 

it would be great. 

Thanks, 

Pascal
0 Kudos