FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Viterbi License Requirements

BHoey
Beginner

There are two Viterbi license types : IP-Viterbi/HS and IP-Viterbi/SS​

/HS is the parallel implementation.  /SS is the hybrid

We have the /HS licensed.

When building a design with the core in it (v17.1 Pro), we receive errors that the /SS license is missing.

The IP Summary in the A&S Report says High Speed Viterbi Decoder and says we are Licensed.

The synthesis flow messages say :

Warning(18390): Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode (Simulation-Only) feature is turned on for all cores in the design 

Warning(18394): Some cores in this design do not support the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature 

Warning(18395): "Low Speed Viterbi Decoder" does not support the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature

The assembler then says :

Warning(115003): Can't generate programming files for your current project because you do not have a valid license for the following IP core or cores. 

Warning(115005): Unlicensed IP: "Low Speed Viterbi Decoder(6AF7 0038)" 

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "D:/work/shaw/achilles_sdr_fec/build/qdb/_compiler/achilles_sdr/root_partition/17.1.2/final/1/names.model" 

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "D:/work/shaw/achilles_sdr_fec/build/qdb/_compiler/achilles_sdr/root_partition/17.1.2/final/1/netlist.model" 

The parallel implementation is picked in the IP wizard.

Is there a dependency?

Thanks

-Brian

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Brian,

"Warning(18395): "Low Speed Viterbi Decoder" does not support the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature"

Can you check by disabling the evaluation mode?

Refer the "1.6 Disable Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode" from following link,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an320.pdf

"Warning(115005): Unlicensed IP: "Low Speed Viterbi Decoder(6AF7 0038)"

also check the license status,

Refer the "1.2 Viewing IP Core License Status " from above link.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

0 Kudos
BHoey
Beginner

You have to fully read the question.

This issue is the Parallel Viterbi is looking for the Hybrid license. All that should be need is IP-VITERBI/HS. Not that plus IP-VITERBI/SS.

Quartus is yelling that IP-VITERBI/SS is missing. What is the dependency?

We had our FAE cut us an eval license and we can compile successfully with the /SS added to the /HS.

Thanks

-Brian

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Brian,

I tried to replicate your issue with Q17.1 pro but I could not face any issue.

Can you please provide your project file(may have different IPs used) so that we can replicate & fix if we found any bug?

Best Regards

Vikas Jathar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
SZack
Partner

Hi Vikas,

I am the local Altera-dedicated FAE at Arrow working with Brian. I was able to replicate the customer's problem when using 18.1 Pro. Make sure you disable your super license or at least comment out the Viterbi/SS core from your license file. Attached is a test archive you can use to try and re-create the problem.

Steve

0 Kudos
SZack
Partner

If you have a super license the feature ID for the Viterbi/SS is 6AF7_0038 - comment out those lines to get the problem to happen

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Brian/Steve,

Can I get some favor like, could you please provide screenshot of 'Analysis & Synthesis IP Cores Summary' .

Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
SZack
Partner

Hi Vikas,

I just built the design again (the one that Brian attached earlier) using Quartus Pro 18.1.1 and here is the message I get when running the assembler ->

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "C:/altera_trn/_Customer_Designs/Syncopated Engineering/top_viterbi/qdb/_compiler/top/root_partition/18.1.1/final/1/netlist.model"

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "C:/altera_trn/_Customer_Designs/Syncopated Engineering/top_viterbi/qdb/_compiler/top/root_partition/18.1.1/final/1/names.model"

Warning(115003): Can't generate programming files for your current project because you do not have a valid license for the following IP core or cores.

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "C:/altera_trn/_Customer_Designs/Syncopated Engineering/top_viterbi/qdb/_compiler/top/root_partition/18.1.1/final/1/netlist.model"

Warning(115004): Unlicensed encrypted design file: "C:/altera_trn/_Customer_Designs/Syncopated Engineering/top_viterbi/qdb/_compiler/top/root_partition/18.1.1/final/1/names.model"

Steve

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the details.

I tried to replicate the issue using given design files but I am not able to do so & reason is floating license.

here I don`t have option to use only IP-Viterbi/HS , for that I should have standstill license for IP-Viterbi/HS  in that case I may replicate the issue.

I will try to check internally & get back to you.

Please have a look to the screenshots.

• with license

with.JPG

• without license

without.JPG

Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
SZack
Partner

Hi Vikas,

Even though you have a floating license you (or whomever manages the license) can temporarily comment out the Viterbi/SS license. If you have a super license the feature ID for the Viterbi/SS is 6AF7_0038 - comment out those lines to get the problem to happen

Steve

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Steve,

Actually It`s a bug.

Please check the below latest KDB link & let me know if this has helped to resolve your issue,

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2019/why-does-the-viterbi-intel--fpga-ip-need-both-high-speed-and-low.html

Regards,

Vikas

0 Kudos
SZack
Partner

Hi Vikas,

Thanks for identifying that this is a bug and for providing a link to the workaround. I guess Brian was the first customer to encounter this bug since the KDB article was just added recently

0 Kudos