FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5990 Discussions

When i try to simulate a PCIE example design the simulation time is very large. How can it be optimized to reduce the simulation time

lv0001
Beginner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kenny_Tan
Are you using modelsim altera edition? If you want to use faster time, you have to choose PE or DE version. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...
lv0001
Beginner
I am using the Modelsim Altera starter edition . What does SE or DE means and it needs separate license to be purchased please let me know . Alsonhowndoni include memeber in this conversation who are having Altera account. Since I am not able to add pavan.bhandhari@blackpeppertech.com
hans86
Novice

The problem with the Starter edition is not the simulation speed (close to 40% of PE/DE) but the instance limit, if you hit this limit (which I suspect you do with a PCIe core) your simulation speed will effectively grind to a halt (1% of PE/DE speed). You should get a warning that you have hit this limit, if not check your simulation speed (using the simstats command) and the beginning and end of your simulation, you should see quite a difference.

As KTan9 mentioned you need to purchase either the Intel-Modelsim version or the full PE/DE version from Mentor which is not cheap but does not have any speed restrictions and comes with a lot of other goodies such as code coverage. Modelsim DE has (amongst others) full assertion support which can be used for functional verification.

Good luck,

Hans.

Kenny_Tan
You can refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/model-sim.html, you may have to contact mentor for the purchase