FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Why I can't simulate Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello community, 

I hope for your help. I have 2 problems with simulation of Triple Speed Ethernet Megacore (TSE): 

Programming in VHDL with 

Quartus II 64-Bit Version 15.0.0 Build 145 04/22/2015 SJ Web Edition 

Simulation with 

ModelSim ALTERA STARTER EDITION 10.3d 

TSE is generated with MegaWizard, Example Design is also generated 

problem 1: tse doesn't seem to be bounded correctly in test bench 

- i want to simulate read and write over SPI from/to the registers of TSE (later of course I will simulate some other functions of TSE) 

- NativeLink and a test bench with the file TSE_MegaCore.vhd (my variation from the TSE) from the directory TSE_MegaCore is used 

- Tools -> Run Simulation Tool -> Gate Level Simulation... 

- Signal reg_busy stays on initial value, but TSE registers are addressed, data is writen to reg_data_in and signal reg_wr (or reg_rd) is set to '1' 

- register of TSE are not showed under Memory List in Model Sim 

- Warning ModelSim/Transcript: 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3473) Component instance "i_tse_mac : altera_eth_tse_mac" is not bound. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE File: C:/Users/matthiask/Masterarbeit/FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/TSE_MegaCore_sim/TSE_MegaCore.vhd 

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/reg_data_out, and its initial value is not used. 

#  

# Therefore, simulation behavior may occur that is not in compliance with 

#  

# the VHDL standard as the initial values come from the base signal /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/sv32TSERegisterDatenAnSPI. 

#  

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/reg_busy, and its initial value is not used. 

#  

#  

# the VHDL standard as the initial values come from the base signal /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/sTSERegisterbeschaeftigt. 

#  

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/eth_mode, and its initial value is not used. 

and so on. 

What's the Problem? 

Which files I have further to add to the testbench? 

Or are wrong settings the problem? 

problem 2: simulating test bench after ,,triple-speed ethernet megacore function user guide'', chapter 10, fails 

- launching Quartus II, open project generate_sim.qpf from directory TSE_MegaCore_testbench 

- on the Tools menu, I select Tcl Scripts and select the generate_sim_vhld.tcl file and I clicked run 

- message ,,Tcl Script File C:/Users.../generate_sim_vhdl.tcl executed'' 

- in directory Project/testbench_vhdl/TSE_MegaCore run_TSE_MegaCore_tb.tcl selected and executed 

- message ,,Tcl Script File C:/Users.../run_TSE_MegaCore_tb.tcl executed'' 

and now? 

- I want to start ModelSim: Tools -> Run Simulation Tool -> Gate Level Simulation... 

- message ,,Can't find file C:/Users/.../TSE_MegaCore_testbench/generate_sim.sft. Run the EDA Netlist Writer'' 

- I startet the EDA Netlist Writer 

- after a few seconds error massages: 

Error (12007): Top-level design entity "generate_sim" is undefined 

Error: Quartus II 64-Bit Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 1 error, 1 warning 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 670 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Fri Jan 29 10:13:05 2016 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:12 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:26 

Error (293001): Quartus II Flow was unsuccessful. 3 errors, 1 warning 

- why there isn't in the project a file named generate_sim (generate_sim.vhd?) ? 

are my own VHDL project and the testbench provided with the Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore independent from each other? 

so: how I can simulate the Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore? 

Greetings, Matthew
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi community, 

maybe the TSE is a special component, what is not often used, but what about PLLs? 

I haven't solved the problem with the TSE, but I have to go further, so I implemented a very simple PLL (Altera PLL from the IP catalog in Quartus II, not from Qsys). 

Look, I got this Warning, when I wanted to start ModelSim 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3473) Component instance "i_tse_mac : altera_eth_tse_mac" is not bound. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE File: C:/Users/.../FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/TSE_MegaCore_sim/TSE_MegaCore.vhd 

# ** Warning: (vsim-3473) Component instance "meine_pll_inst : Meine_PLL_0002" is not bound. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TAKT_GENERATOR File: C:/Users/.../FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion/Meine_PLL.vhd 

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/reg_data_out, and its initial value is not used. 

#  

#  

# the VHDL standard as the initial values come from the base signal /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/sv32TSERegisterDatenAnSPI. 

#  

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/reg_busy, and its initial value is not used. 

#  

#  

# the VHDL standard as the initial values come from the base signal /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/sTSERegisterbeschaeftigt. 

#  

# ** Warning: (vsim-8684) No drivers exist on out port /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/eth_mode, and its initial value is not used. 

#  

#  

# the VHDL standard as the initial values come from the base signal /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/sTSEEthMode. 

etc. 

For TSE and the PLL the same warning. So I think, this couldn't be a TSE specific problem. 

I can simulate my registers, my spi, my RAM. but I can't get any signals from the TSE or the PLL (I still just want to write to the TSE registers; I haven't connected every signal in the port map of TSE, just the ones I think I need to have access to the registers). 

I still use NativeLink and have added TSE_MegaCore_sim/TSE_MegaCore.vhd and Meine_PLL.vhd to my test bench. 

So, what have I forgotten? Where's the failure? What I'm doing wrong? 

I would be lucky, if you can help me to simulate my whole system. 

Greetings, Matthew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Gate level simulation isn't supported on some devices, and this may be part of your problem. 

Do you have the same difficulty with RTL simulation?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ted, 

from Quartus II I started ,,RTL simulation''. ModelSim generates a very long compilation report, unfortunately with an error: 

# vsim -t 1ps -L altera -L lpm -L sgate -L altera_mf -L altera_lnsim -L cyclonev -L cyclonev_ver -L cyclonev_hssi_ver -L cyclonev_pcie_hip_ver -L rtl_work -L work -L Meine_PLL -L i_tse_mac -voptargs="+acc" Test_SPI 

# vsim -gui "+altera" -l msim_transcript -do "Ethernet_Modul_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do"  

# Start time: 11:43:12 on Feb 17,2016 

# Loading std.standard 

# Loading std.textio(body) 

# Loading ieee.std_logic_1164(body) 

# Loading ieee.std_logic_arith(body) 

# Loading ieee.std_logic_unsigned(body) 

# Loading work.test_spi(test_spi_verhalten) 

# Loading work.fpga_register_allgemein(body) 

# Loading work.ethernet_modul(ethernet_funktion) 

# Loading work.spi_schnittstelle_synchron(behavioral) 

# Loading ieee.numeric_std(body) 

# Loading work.verdrahtete_logik(body) 

# Loading work.fpga_register_funktion(verhalten_register_funktion) 

# Loading altera_mf.altera_mf_components 

# Loading work.onchipmemoryram(syn) 

# Loading altera_mf.altera_common_conversion(body) 

# Loading altera_mf.altera_device_families(body) 

# Loading altera_mf.altsyncram(translated) 

# Loading work.tse_megacore(rtl) 

# ** Fatal: Error occurred in protected context. 

# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Protected: /test_spi/ZuTestendesModul/TRIPLE_SPEED_ETHERNET_MEGACORE/i_tse_mac/genblk8/U_RGMII/the_rgmii_in4 File: nofile 

# FATAL ERROR while loading design 

# Error loading design 

# Error: Error loading design 

# Pausing macro execution 

# MACRO ./Ethernet_Modul_run_msim_rtl_vhdl.do PAUSED at line 154 

Okay, this looks like you're right. (But I don't get any messages like that when I start ,,Gate Level Simulation''.) 

But what about the PLL? This component is used by many engeneers, students and so on. I can't really imagine, ModelSim isn't able to simulate these cores.  

Back to my old problem: 

I can't correct read (and maybe write) to the TSE registers. Here an example: I just want to read the TSE registers. I do a hardware reset and then in register 0x11 of the TSE there have to be the data 0xFFFF. But I read 0x482 or nonsense like that. 

I use the same code to write and read to On-Chip Memory RAM and it works. 

Kind regards, Matthew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have solved Problem 2: simulating test bench after ,,Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore Function User Guide'', Chapter 10: 

- launching Quartus II, open project generate_sim.qpf from directory TSE_MegaCore_testbench 

- on the Tools menu, I select Tcl Scripts and select the generate_sim_vhld.tcl file and I clicked run 

- message ,,Tcl Script File C:/Users.../generate_sim_vhdl.tcl executed'' 

and then I have to start ModelSim from the desktop (not from Quartus - this causes an error), navigating in the Transcript window to the folder, where is 

run_TSE_MegaCore_tb.tcl stored (C:\Users\...\FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion\FPGA_Ethernet_Funktion\TSE_MegaCore_testbench\testbench_vhdl\TSE_MegaCore, 

type ,,cd'' for changing directory, type ,,dir'' to see the directories and files of the current folder) 

and type ,,do run_TSE_MegaCore_tb.tcl'' in the transcript window. 

Compilation of needed files is done automatic and simulation works fine! 

Greetings, Matthew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TO_BE_DONE

0 Kudos