FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

XML file for GigE Vision camera

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I hope somebody on Altera's Forum is designing GigE Vision cameras. As I know these cameras need XML file for configuration. Is there any fast and comfortable way to create this XML file? Editing given template or writing everything from scratch would take too much time. Any ideas are welcome!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Use a good XML editor (Oxygen is pretty good). Treat it like a one-time chore and it is not so bad (1 day?) to get something running.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was not so bad - just one day. What should I do with the features that I don't use in the XML file? Delete the records? Or leave with default values?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're just doing it for fun / academic reasons, you can leave them; nothing will break. If you are producing a commercial product, you will want to delete them in order to make the XML file accurately reflect your system. The required minimum content is quite small.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ted, thank you very much!  

It is a commercial product, but I don't know if it goes through GigE Vision certification, so I will remove the unneeded records later.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, I hope somebody on Altera's Forum is designing GigE Vision cameras. As I know these cameras need XML file for configuration. Is there any fast and comfortable way to create this XML file? Editing given template or writing everything from scratch would take too much time. Any ideas are welcome! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I am trying to understand GigE for developing GigE receiver using Nios2. 

So I want to know that how to download xml file from GigE camera using 

Nios2? 

or what is the role of xml file in Gige? 

regards 

j s Hyanki
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You really need to read the specification, it describes the download process. The role of the XML file is to describe the features and registers supported by the camera, in a standard way such that one application can be written to support many different cameras by parsing the XML. In a closed system where you are the creator of both the transmitter and the receiver, you don't need the XML file at all.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I strongly recommend to buy some used GigE Vision camera from ebay for 300$ and just watch how these basic functions work. The specification is ugly and difficult to understand. Answer to Hyanki's question: I don't transfer xml file from camera, I have it on my hard drive (allowed by specification!). If I need to do that, I would save the XML on EPCS and read the area upon request.

0 Kudos