FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

can we implement PCIe root port on cyclone v gt development board ?? and the board is having pice 4x edge connector (male) not female one, so does that is required for root port feasibility??

SPraj4
Beginner

I have cyclone v gt development board(5cgtfd9e5f35c7). this board is having PCIe 4x edge connector (male). for an application I need to connect SATA SSD on this pcie edge connector via pcie to sata adapter.

and for that as i understood , a pcie root complex will be required to implement on FPGA logic. I am not sure of it whether this arrangement is feasible or not. so can someone guide me on following points:

1) can we implement pcie root complex on this particular boar? if yes, any reference material on how to do that?

2) does the availability of pcie female socket on board makes any difference to above question?

3) the board is not having any processor so do I need to use Nios along with Root complex??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

I would suggest you use the development kit with SoC to implement the PCIe Root Port. I don't see there is a ready solution for Nios to act as a host for root port. The following example design for CV SoC kit should be helpful to you.

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Projects/PCIeRootPort

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SPraj4
Beginner

Thank you. I am referring the example design you suggested. As you said that there is no ready solution for Nios to act as a host for root port, So is there a feasibility of implementing NIOS as Root port or not in the board cyclone v gt development board(5cgtfd9e5f35c7) ? And if not then why?? Actually I have already purchased this board so if there is some way to do that with this board it will be good .

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

It might be possible but is not a ready solution, and I don't see this is commonly used by others. You may need to do some works on the Linux side to bring up the system.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SPraj4
Beginner

ok thank you. And by ready solution you mean an IP component for Root port ??

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

I'm referring to the example design/software/firmware/driver and so on that target for NIOS as the root port.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SPraj4
Beginner

OK. got it. thanks for your guidance.

0 Kudos