FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

dsp builder installation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have purchased cyclone II DSP development kit EP2C70. 

there is an installation issue with DSP Builder v6.0 (dsp builder CD provided with the kit). 

i have install Quartus II version 6.0sp1 (provided with the kit) 

megacore IP v6.0 (provided with the kit). 

Nios II v6.0 (provided with the kit). 

when i try to install DSP Builder then message window appear "install matlab 7.0 , 7.1 or 2006a before installing dsp builder" 

although matlab 2007b is provided with the kit, and i have already install this in my PC. 

i have also installed matlab 7.0 but the same error message window appears every time. 

please help me in the installation of dsp builder v6.0
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

did you just purchase the kit and activate the license? if so you should be able to install the 9.1sp2 or 10.0sp1 tools and a more recent version of MATLAB, it might be easier than figuring out the old tools

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Old versions of DSP Builder had quite buggy installers. For instance: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9606#post9606 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9606#post9606

It's possible that the very presence of the newer version of MATLAB is causing this problem. You could try uninstalling MATLAB R2007b, follow the trick in the post I linked to clear your registry and try again. 

However I would really recommend using a newer version of DSP Builder. 6.0 is very old and many bugs have been fixed since then.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my problems still not resolved by the way u refered me (to the post above)plz tell me about some other solution ineed to start my work on project i have to present it on 16 jan 2011

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Without access to your machine, there's not a great deal else I can do. I really would recommend getting a new version of DSP Builder and using that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks sir! 

i have install dsp builder correctly. 

but know i have to integrate dsp builder with matlab 7.0 

when i set "C;\altera\DSPBuilder\Altlib" in the current directory and type command "setup_dspbuilder" then message appear in the command waindow of matlab "the environment variable 'DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR' required by the dsp builder has not set". 

how can i resolve this issue
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To set the environment variable, do the following (assuming you're using Windows XP - Vista/Win7 are not much different): 

1. Close Matlab if it's open 

2. Left-click on the Start menu 

3. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" 

4. Select the "Advanced" tab and click "Environment Variables" 

5. Click New below System variables 

6. Enter Variable name as DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR and Variable value as C:\altera\DSPBuilder\Altlib 

7. Click OK and then OK again. 

8. Now start MATLAB and the variable should be set. 

You can verify it's set by typing "getenv DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR" at the matlab prompt.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanx sir! 

my problem is resolve know. 

thank you very much for your patience
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have downloaded quartus version 9 nd using matlab 2009a, i m intending to download dsp builder v9.1 but it needs a license key to generate an hdl file??? 

does altera offers free license key for dsp builder v9.1??? as it did when i use quartus v6.0
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know about the license situation but you can't use DSP Builder 9.1 with Quartus 9.0.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have installed quatus 8.1 and dsp builder 8.1 

can anybody tell me will dsp builder generate verilog file without being licensed???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DSP Builder never generates Verilog. 

edit: Change that to present tense. No idea if it will at some future point.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have download modelsim-altera 6.1Ed from the altera web side. 

when i tried to open then message window appear with the license issue. 

"the environment variable for modelsim-altera is not set, give address in the following preferrance"  

1. MGLS_LICENSE_FILE 

2. LM_LICENSE_FILE 

please help me
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recommend posting this in a new thread. This is nothing to do with DSP Builder and so it may not get the attention you would like.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have Tried "My support " in ALTERA Webpage.But i cant figure it out. 

Can anyone please instruct me How to Obtain a DSP Builder Free License. I owned the Cyclone III(NEEK) kit. I need badly to obtain the license... Thanks in Advance...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should contact your local Altera reprentative to see if they can do something for you. AFAIK the NEEK kit doesn't give you a DSP builder license.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply Daixiwen, 

I never know that NEEK doesn't cover the DSP license.  

But my CD package Has the DSP Builder software.  

I tried to contact ALTERA customer support through Mail, But they are asking for my University Mail address. but i don't have one. Is there no way to get a reply from ALTERA without a Registered University MAIL ID.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And the SERIAL NUMBER i got in MY NEEK Kit has 19 digits rather then the 11 digit instructed by ALTERA references for KIT registration. Is it common ? 

I checked my NEEK, DE0 and DE1 boards all are having a 19 digit serial number at the bottom of the Shipping KIT sticker. 

Did i misunderstood the directions given by ALTERA? , please guide me..
0 Kudos