FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

how to use the clocked video input IP in SOPC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to use clocked video input IP in my new design, I want to input a PAL video signal into the DDR2 memory in sopc. But the clocked video input 's ST interface is 10bits, i can not connect it to the DMA or CSC module which ST interface is 8 bits. 

who can tell me how to connect the clocked video input to the ddr2 memory? thanks. 

the page 4-1 of datasheet ug_vip.pdf said that the clocked video input use lower level interface, but the on the sopc it is avalon streaming source, and it is 10bit.  

do i have to make a new component to interface the two component?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you have a look at the altera website (http://www.altera.com/products/ip/dsp/image_video_processing/m-alt-vipsuite.html) There you can download a reference design, which shows excactly what you want to do. 

It's working only with the Video and Image Processing IP-core (no need for a new component).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i can not find the reference design, can you give me the address of the example design of clocked video input?thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the demo example 's input data is 8 bits width, but the itu656 interface is 10 bits,the least 2 bits are not used. 

in my design , i want to use the clocked video input and clock video output, and the data 's width is 10(SDI) or 20(HD-SDI) bits, what shall i set the parameter.  

i still donn't know how to set the input and output 's width to 10 or 20, because if i set to these value , the SOPC will give an error, it said the interface can only be 8 bit width.  

for example, use the test pattern generator to generate the video content(color bar) and use the clocked video output to ourput the video and use the sdi interface serialize the video. the data width is a problem. 

do i have to write a compent to connect the two component with different data width?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the demo example 's input data is 8 bits width, but the itu656 interface is 10 bits,the least 2 bits are not used. 

in my design , i want to use the clocked video input and clock video output, and the data 's width is 10(SDI) or 20(HD-SDI) bits, what shall i set the parameter.  

i still donn't know how to set the input and output 's width to 10 or 20, because if i set to these value , the SOPC will give an error, it said the interface can only be 8 bit width.  

for example, use the test pattern generator to generate the video content(color bar) and use the clocked video output to ourput the video and use the sdi interface serialize the video. the data width is a problem. 

do i have to write a compent to connect the two component with different data width? 

--- Quote End ---  

The SDI mega function accepts 20bit parallel data (sd-sdi only the first 10bits are used). This parallel data is multiplexed, that means that you have to set up the testpattern generator (and clocked video out) to serial. So you get the output for parallel (for example 10 bit) data, but the planes follow one after another. Be sure which color space you have to use.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guy, I am new to this forum and website and I have really enjoyed reading all the useful information given by you all. its been great to see the concern of you guys on to these things which we dont find often in the handsbook.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

excuse me,what mean is clocded video?

0 Kudos