FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

i2c can't find core qsys

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

problem... Can't find i2c core in qsys. Is there this core by default there??/ 

If not. I have downloaded OpenCores I2C component. But question how can I add it to qsys???? Do I have create new component and ........ . Or there is easy way ?? 

Thank you. 

Eduardas
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No there is not i2c core in SOPC or Qsys. 

You don't have to create a new component in Qsys, go to quartus installation directory, then ip directory, create a new directory with desired name and add the core to that directory or alternatively You can add it to ip->altera directory. 

Otherwise copy the core directory wherever You want and add a new search path in Qsys settings.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Otherwise copy the core directory wherever You want and add a new search path in Qsys settings. 

--- Quote End ---  

Which I2C file do You mean? 

The only one , that seems to be relevant is: 

\altera_12.1_177\ip\altera\sopc_builder_ip\altera_mp32\HAL\src\alt_iic.c  

I added this path to IP search path in Qsys settings and refreshed the system. 

But I2C QSys component did not appear in QSys Library .... 

Or maybe I cannot find it , where in QSys Library should it appear ? 

Or maybe alt_iic.c is not enough to create I2C QSys component?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.c or .h files have nothing common with qsys components...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the extension ( .* ) of needed I2C files which corresponds to I2C QSys component? 

If successfully added, then in what section of QSys Library should I2C QSys component appear?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I added the whole directory \altera_12.1_177 to IP search path in Qsys settings and refreshed the system. 

But no new QSys component appeared in QSys Library ...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, then create a new component by yourself, add design files and set the top module from the list.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not that advanced yet, that's why I'm looking for a ready-to-use I2C QSys component. 

I'm sure it exists and I wonder why it is not so far included in QSys Library.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera did not make any i2c cores for Qsys. The component is available at Opencores, but You'll have to learn how to install it by Yourself.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Socrates does not seem able to read. Aphraton just wanted some help in knowing if there is a Qsys compliant I2C component, and said he was not that advanced yet. Snarky comments from Socrates don't seem useful in this context.  

Anyway - Aphraton - you might like to check out here - http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/i2c_(opencores). The I2C component has been updated to be Qsys compliant.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, Socrates is able to read. He just hate lazy dummies asking to do a job for them. If You're not advanced enough - spend Your time researching and reading. Be advanced.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you know this core will work on Quartus 12.1 SP1 SOPC ?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

problem... Can't find i2c core in qsys. Is there this core by default there??/ 

If not. I have downloaded OpenCores I2C component. But question how can I add it to qsys???? Do I have create new component and ........ . Or there is easy way ?? 

Thank you. 

Eduardas 

--- Quote End ---  

Create a folder named ip in your project directory which contains the .qsys file. Then add the i2c_opencores in the ip folder. 

Refresh the system in Qsys to get rid of the error. 

Thanks, 

Anil
0 Kudos