FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

ALTGX byte ordering problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using two stratix II signal integrity development kits, and try to communicate between them using the ALTGX megacore. I am using it in 16-bit width. 

I am experiencing a problem with the order of the bytes - I send two words, i.e. "AABB", "CCDD" but the receiver side receives "DDAA", CCBB" or something similar. 

What could be the problem? 

more details: 

protocol - basic, no loopback. 

opration mode - receiver and transmitter 

data rate - 624MPBS 

word alignment: sync state machine 

word alignment width: 10 

word alignment pattern: 17c 

8b/10b mode: normal 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I am using two stratix II signal integrity development kits, and try to communicate between them using the ALTGX megacore. I am using it in 16-bit width. 

I am experiencing a problem with the order of the bytes - I send two words, i.e. "AABB", "CCDD" but the receiver side receives "DDAA", CCBB" or something similar. 

What could be the problem? 

--- Quote End ---  

A wild shot in the dark but maybe you don't have a word reversal problem but a word alignment problem or a bit order problem. Try sending methodical test cases like "96" followed by "D1". If you have a byte order reversal you will get "69" then "1D". If you have a bit order reversal you will get "69" then "8B". 

I might be off in my explanation but you get the idea... You have to isolate the problem before you can solve it. It might be as simple as a bit order issue.  

David
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'll give another example which implies it's not bit ordering: 

the transmitter sends "0000", "0220","7C0B","0000" but the receiver receives "2000","0B02","007C"....