FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5008 Discussions

Adding D5005 PAC to Server Causes Boot Error

RBash
Novice

We have a new D5005 PAC that we want to add to an existing server (S2600WF). The server had a PAC with Arria 10 GX and it booted and worked fine. But when we add the D5005 card, it doesn't even boot and the beeps indicate a power fault based on this link. The power supply is 1300W, so I doubt that that's the issue. I followed the instructions in the quick start guide page, i.e., enabling SR-IOV and Virtualization Technology in BIOS, and using a 12 V auxiliary power cable to power the card. I tried various PCIe slots on the motherboard, and removed the PAC with Arria 10 GX, but in all cases got the same beeps (1-5-4-2). What am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

This requires both 12 V PCIe slot power and 12 V Auxiliary Power Connector available to on the D5005 cards. Please look at the link below page 5 & 6 for the detail:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ds/ds-pac-d5005.pdf

Regards -SK

RBash
Novice

Thank you for your prompt response. I took a look at the document you referred, but I have another question now. Do I have to explicitly do something about the PCIe slot power? Because the card is already connected to a PCIe slot, so I don't know if I have to enable something or not.

Thanks

SengKok_L_Intel

No, I'm not aware if there is anything to do with the PCIe slot power. It supposes to have 12V power.

Regards -SK

SengKok_L_Intel

The below link has a list of servers that qualified for D5005 that you can use for comparison.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/intel-...

I will set this case to close-pending for now. Please do not hesitate to get back to me within the next 20-day close-pending period if more help is needed.

Regards -SK

IvanFernandez
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same issue when installing the D5005 in my server: it is unable to boot. Any solution or explanation to this?

Thanks,

Ivan