FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Communication with DE0-board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

Some background to the project: I've implemented a Nios II processor on the Cyclone III FPGA with a DE0-board from terasIC. In SOPC-builder the JTAG_UART module was also added. Anyways my goal is to send parameters to the Nios II processor from a PC. Easiest would be to have a GUI made in C# (.NET).  

How do I communicate with the FPGA (Nios II)? Can I use the USB-blaster? If I can, how do I get a library in Visual Studio so that I can implement it in the GUI? 

The RS232 pin/holes-out from the DE0-board, Can I connect them to a FTDI USB-> RS232 module and get access directly from the JTAG_UART Memory mapped module? 

Speed will not be a problem in this project as there is only 20 bytes roughly to be sent and time is not an issue. 

As you can see, I'm interested in how I can communicate with the Nios II with the DE0-board in any form with a GUI made in Visual Studio and I'm a complete newbie in this field so any type of help is very welcome. 

Regards, 

mr_embedded
0 Kudos
0 Replies