FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5915 Discussions

DE1 Audio Codec - Demonstration no sound

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone 

I've a problem with the codec on my DE1 board: I've loaded the demonstration files, DE1_Default and DE1_Synthesizer and none of them gives any sound, not even the 1kHz sine wave. The only sound I get is a short loud noise when I press switch SW0. 

Any ideia what could be the problem? 

I'm afraid the codec chip could be fried and I've never used it before. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What could you have done to 'fry' the codec chip?  

Try using a scope to access what signals you can. Are the digital signals present on the chip? Is there analog audio coming out?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What could you have done to 'fry' the codec chip?  

--- Quote End ---  

I suspect the chip was fried from factory, or maybe poorly soldered to the board. I've done some verilog code to communicate with the chip and tried it but even assuming I made a mistake in the pin assignments for the FPGA I don't think that could destroy the chip.  

Do you think an error on the pin assignments could damage the chip? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Try using a scope to access what signals you can. Are the digital signals present on the chip? Is there analog audio coming out?  

--- Quote End ---  

None of the signals are available. Both the FPGA and Codec are BGA packages and none of the wires can be probed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sometimes you can probe vias or resistors if you have access to schematic and layout.  

I doubt incorrect pin assignments can damage your chip as Terasic would get a flood of development boards returned.  

You never really know until you probe out with a scope...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I doubt incorrect pin assignments can damage your chip as Terasic would get a flood of development boards returned.  

--- Quote End ---  

Yeah, that's what I thought :D 

Now the codec is working and it gives the 1 kHz buzz. I've done absolutely to it except turning the board ON. This is very strange, I've turned the board On and Off endeless times yesterday and it didn't fix the problem. 

Thanks for the help anyway. 

Cheers
0 Kudos