FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

DE10-Nano RS422

VROGE2
New Contributor I

Can the DE10-Nano use RS422 protocol? I have checked the manufacturers website and it shows that to use RS422 protocol on the FT232R chip you need level converters and I am not sure that the level converters are allready on the DE10-Nano because I have not received one of them yet. Does the board already have the level converters installed?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Short answer: no, not possible.

Longer: the FT232R on the DE10-Nano is used to connect CMOS level pins (HPS_RX/TX) on the FPGA to the client side of the FT232R USB/Serial converter.

The USB goes off board to connect to some host, and will look like a Serial USB port to it.

There is no way to insert any kind of RS422 buffers (basically just differential high-speed serial signalling) in that signal path.

If you wanted to do any kind of external RS422 signaling you'd have to dedicate some I/O pins on a connector, and build/attach a small board with RS422 buffers/connector.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Short answer: no, not possible.

Longer: the FT232R on the DE10-Nano is used to connect CMOS level pins (HPS_RX/TX) on the FPGA to the client side of the FT232R USB/Serial converter.

The USB goes off board to connect to some host, and will look like a Serial USB port to it.

There is no way to insert any kind of RS422 buffers (basically just differential high-speed serial signalling) in that signal path.

If you wanted to do any kind of external RS422 signaling you'd have to dedicate some I/O pins on a connector, and build/attach a small board with RS422 buffers/connector.

Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks Donald for your answer.

0 Kudos